How to fix the crack on the rear bumper

404 Da Teg

Dre Da KID
please help me how to fix that crack in the bumper :cry: I know i shld search anything in HT, TI, clubintegra, or whatever site but i dont have time for it because i go back work in few minutes.. I will appericate it if you help me. for your info, I never have experince with sand, bondo, primer, etcc. i would like to try it myself. thanks

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
don't use bondo or any other type of plastic body filler for that.

3M makes something for plastic bumpers. i think it's called Automix (too lazy to look it up right now). you can find it on their site. not all stores sell them. it's a lot more flexible than filler, though.

sanding it down and shooting primer on really isn't all that hard. it just takes a lot of time and preparation. "do it right or do it twice!"

to be honest, though, i'm not sure whether that 3M stuff will hold the bumper together. it's moreso for grooves and what not. research it to be safe.

G3GirL

p.s. i hope you're gonna replace the other broken parts above that, too..lol :thumbup:

Sleeper

I had a bad crack in my front bumper and I fixed it using a Bumper Epoxy that was made by Bondo. It is a filler/epoxy made for plastic. It worked really well on my bumper.. Did it a year ago and it still looks like new.

G3GirL

yeah, but that crack is huge and already starting to pull apart. i'd rather spend $30+ on a new bumper than risk a paint job. bondo, like everything else, deteriorates over time. it's one of the parts not worth repairing, imo -- unless it were minor imperfections. you're looking at over $1,000 (easily) for a decent paint job. if your repair decides to fall apart after a couple years, that'd be a waste of a paint job. with certain color cars, you'll totally be able to see the color difference when you have to re-do the repair and repaint the bumper again.

Last edited:

G3GirL

a 98-01 rear bumper is far from 30 bucks...
his car is a '97. check the profile.

i've seen those go for $30 starting around here. :thumbs up even if the bumper cost $200, i'd still replace it as opposed to trying to repair that bad of a crack. paint > cheap repairs

G3GirL

alright, you win. lol i wasn't paying any attention to that. replace it anyway!

blacktopgsr

man it's not difficult to do fiberglass, it'll def take care of the cracking part, just remove the bumper and do the inside, once dry then you can apply bondo, sand mooth and then prime, finish off with matching color..check on youtube on how-to's. good luck.