how to get better heat?

dbryder

i have a remote start to warm up my car before traveling and i make sure that the heat is on full blast in advance. however, this is still not as effective. i know i sound like a b*tch, but i'm sure some of you guys, who have leather seats, would understand lol. i was thinking about buying a new heater core, but wanted to see what CI will inform me like maybe some kind of DIY techniques
thanks in advance

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Definetley thermostat. Change it out, and youre gonna be good.

pinkley

b@115D33p
Like theses guys/gals said. I would go with the thermostat first before messing with the heater core. I replaced mine a few weeks ago because it was stuck open which = no heat. And its not a bad idea to go ahead and change the radiator cooling fan switch while you have it tore apart. It's the sensor looking deal on the thermostat housing neck.
And be sure to turn you climate control all the way on cold before you begin. That way all the antifreeze doesn't drain out of your heater core. Good luck

dlo253

Def. start with the thermostat.... And be sure your radiator is filled all the way too, lol.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Try flushing+bleeding the air out cooling system. Like everyone else says, thermostat. And yes, where does the temperature gauge rest at idle?

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Definetley thermostat. Change it out, and youre gonna be good.
Ok parts counter. Yes, there is a chance it could be the thermostat, but it could also be a clogged heater core, low coolant, bad temp switch forcing fan to be on all the time, too high of expectaions on the op's part, etc... PLEASE stop trying to come across as the voice of all reason. All I ever hear you say is things you are repeating from others. I'm not saying you don't know anything, just chill a bit. Working at autozone does not make you a mechanic. You sell parts, off a shelf, like any walmart employee could do. /rant

To the op, i put in bold the possibilities in addition to a stuck thermostat. Where the temp gauge sits would help us a lot.

mirrorimg

The guy has a problem with the heater temp on start up, while the car is idling, and we dont even know how long it has been sitting. My car takes 5-10 minutes to warm up while driving. Your heat is based on the coolant temperature in the car. It doesnt matter if you have the fan setting on 1 or 5, if the coolant isnt hot your heat is not going to be hot.

If you dont have any problems with the temperature after the car is at operating temperature, there is nothing to replace, and nothing to speed the process up. You just need to let the car warm up before your heater blows hot air.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
My car takes 5-10 minutes to warm up while driving. Your heat is based on the coolant temperature in the car. It doesnt matter if you have the fan setting on 1 or 5, if the coolant isnt hot your heat is not going to be hot.

If you dont have any problems with the temperature after the car is at operating temperature, there is nothing to replace, and nothing to speed the process up. You just need to let the car warm up before your heater blows hot air.
Kinda what I was getting at with the expectations bit, and where the temp gauge sits. Our cars take a bit to warm up. If they aren't moving, they aren't going to pour out heat.

mmyk

My 94 LS also takes 10 min driving to heat up. If just sitting on driveway then even longer (which is why I don't bother pre-heating as it's just wasting gas). When I rent other cars, they heat up much faster. So I guess that's just the teg being what it is.

dbryder

first off, thanks guys. i guess i'm being a baby about it haha. when i start my car from my remote, i let it stand close to ten minutes, so that way my motor is warm and doesn't idle too high (thermostat reads at 0). when i'm driving around for about 15 minutes and will blow warm air (thermostat hardly moved). it won't get hot till like 30 minutes into my drive and at that point my thermostat will be a hair less than a quarter. anyway thanks a lot; i'll look into these problems...

Ok parts counter. Yes, there is a chance it could be the thermostat, but it could also be a clogged heater core, low coolant, bad temp switch forcing fan to be on all the time, too high of expectaions on the op's part
To the op, i put in bold the possibilities in addition to a stuck thermostat. Where the temp gauge sits would help us a lot.
and see where i can get improvements :thumbs up

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
That does seem unusually low. Mine usually sits right under half and doesn't budge. Takes 10 min. driving to get there. It will roast me out. Since your temp seems lower than normal, that would point to a thermostat stuck open. If your temp needle had been in a normal position, I would have said clogged heater core. Your radiator fan isn't kicking in, is it?

Jackmldog

Jack
That does seem unusually low. Mine usually sits right under half and doesn't budge. Takes 10 min. driving to get there. It will roast me out. Since your temp seems lower than normal, that would point to a thermostat stuck open. If your temp needle had been in a normal position, I would have said clogged heater core. Your radiator fan isn't kicking in, is it?
This. I changed mine a week ago and it gets HOTT now