How to primer car?

hunters teg94

So I am planning on primering my car but i wanted some tips and stuff to help me out. It is my first time doing it myself and I have my whole car sanded down and ready just want some tips in prep and stuff.

mohawk42s

what are you planning to spray it with? rattle can or spray gun?
i would wet sand it with 800 grit. then give it an alcohol bath.

SleeperDC5

Traded my Sol for a K20
Sand with 600-800 then clean it really well with tac cloths and acetone, or you can get pre-moistened tac cloths

Prozon

Kris
Keep in mind some primer has a specific time you can spray paint on. Otherwise you'll be re-sanding it.

If the car is already sanded- clean it with alcohol then point and shoot.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
wet sand with 400 and spray your primer with a paint gun, each primer will have a specific set of instructions for prep and base coat spray time, typically if you exceed 24 hours after spraying the primer, the whole car has to be sanded with 400 lightly before spraying the base.

Some people will recommend finer grits, I dont personally because ive had issues with primer/paint adhesion in the past with anything finer.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
i have my own question to the OP, how did you manage to sand down the whole car? how long did it take you? did you just take the clear coat off or down to the metal?