How to stop belt squealing

wisconsinjdm

belts squeaking

Hey im finally sold my old integra so im stating to drive my gsr, and everytime i start it the belts make a lot of noise. My dan and I looked at all the belts and they are all the right tightness and the guy i bought the car from just put the belts on, theres not even 100 miles on them so if you guys have any expereince or anything i could try to help fix this it would be great cause honestly its really imbaressing

1990TeGLs

Official CI Thread Jacker
lol i could imagine....i had old ass belts on my car never squeaked...now when i start the car up on like a damp morning they make a really loud ass noise but it goes rite away until the next damp ass rainy day

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Gunk makes some stuff called Belt Dressing, I have some. It comes in an orange can with a black cap. It stops squeaking. About $2 at any parts store.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
New belts shouldn't squeak. Maybe they're on too tight or too loose. I put the Gunk stuff on my belts before I even put them on the engine. I put them in 1 year ago while my engine was out getting built, they've never squealed.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I have some Preston Belt Dressing in my garage. I remember we had to use that for the 88's betls. Same stuff, though.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
WD-40... I literally watched an Autozone guy spray wd-40 onto the belts of this car that was running and squealing like a bitch. Fixed it.

j13

Keep It Clean
New belts shouldn't make any noise, adjust them if they're to lose. I personally would replace them.

tegteg94

It may sound crazyy but turn the car on and run a crayon on the inside of the belt and the wax from the crayon stops the squeak

jwh0818

Wd-40 works but only if your belts are tight. Tighten them up a little more but morethan likely its your alternator belt