Huge Problem! Need Car Back Asap!

GSRIntegra

I was cruising down the highway and I let off the gas then I felt a huge jerk. Same thing happened when I hit the gas. My gas was pretty low so I thought that had something to do with it. Well, I got off of the highway shortly after and the jerking got worse. About 2 blocks down the road I hit a stop light. While at the stop light, my engine starts revving uncontrollably. It would rev to about 4k then drop, then rev to 4k again and then drop. I never had my foot on the gas at that time. I cut my car off so that It wouldn't cause further damage. Now it's stuck in a parking lot and I need it for work. WTF HAPPENED?

other info:

car has almost 99,000 miles on it.
HASN'T had a timing belt/water pump replacement.
Think I'm burning oil (not sure though)

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
iacv.

it always go back to my ol arch-enemy, that damn iacv!
call AAA and get it back home before the owner of that lot gets tired of lookin at it and gets it towed.

the iacv was one piece honda failed at. more so than the sycros in the tranny, or the distributors imo.

GSRIntegra

Thanks!

I've all ready called the owner of the lot and they're cool with it for now.

Can I get a second opinion? Not saying that I don't believe you, pluckt007, it's just I don't want to purchase a IACV if that isn't what's wrong with it.

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
hell no. believe me! j/k

<- not a mechanic, history teacher.

did you try that new port and polishing headers techinique?

mirrorimg

Hows the level of your oil?

Pull out the spark plugs and check them out, see if any have big deposits that would prevent it from firing properly.

XxCaryxX

Is the FITV a possible culprit? Not 100% sure, but i know it can affect your idle.

94dc4

My name matches again lol
Loose ground wire. Check all grounds. It's most likely the one on top of the thermostat housing. Same thing happened to me in my DC4, and I figured it out by watching a video of a DA with similar symptoms on youtube. I replaced the ICM in the distributor and the main relay, and that didn't do shit. Paid a mechanic $250 for a problem I most definitely could have fixed for free.

Actually, I just re-read your post and you said it accelerates. Mine jerked and stalled and did other weird shit. Still might be a ground wire. Check those, and the IACV/FITV are both clean-able.

Last edited:

GSRIntegra

I cleaned my IACY a few months ago. I'm no mechanic myself, but it seemed ok. I follow the step by step on Team Integra for cleaning it. Like I said, I think I'm burning oil, but I'm not sure. I checked my oil level a few days ago and it was ok. I was told that I don't have a FITV so that couldn't be it. My pedal really didn't feel any different, well, at least I couldn't tell. I'll try to get a IACV from a junkyard and see if that helps. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you all updated.

94dc4

My name matches again lol
I was told that I don't have a FITV so that couldn't be it
What year is your car? My 94 LS had one, but I think the 96+ cars don't have them.

I just remembered that the FITV only causes problems at idle or startup. I had mine in too tight and my car started at or below 500 RPM (lol) and raised to normal after the car was warmed up.