hydro or cable?

jdm jon

whats up guys...

i have a 96 GSR motor w/ b16 trans....i guess its slowly wearing out...
my 2nd gear pops out at times and my 3rd clicks into 3rd gear.....
so i went to honda and got honda MTF fluid.....had a tranny flush and fill-in...shifts alot better, no more problems with 3rd gear but i noticed my 2nd gear still pops out at times when i let the clutch out regular vs out super slow.

anyway, i have a jdm b16 tranny, hydro....and i know a guy that has a b16 cable tranny for a pretty good price, mint, no grinds/pop-outs....ive know the guy for a few years now and hes help me out in the past so i would consider buying a tranny of him...... told me that you can adjust the clutch with it and that cable is what some people prefer....also that i wouild need some sort of conversion but that it can be done...

id love to get a fresh ITR tranny as most of us would like, but dont have couple grand to spend at the moment.....

should i stay hydro or go cable? what do you guys think?

p.s. same time i swap out for a tranny im also throwing in a new clutch...im looking at a CC stage 2.

Last edited:

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
i have only really ever driven hydro clutches...but i mean the cable clutches i have driven i dont like.

jdm jon

are they weaker?

i used to have an EG with a b16swap but that also was hydro....so im slim on cable knowledge, though a b16 tranny mint (cable for $350) sounds like a decent deal...specially when it feels like my tranny might be done with 2nd gear soon....what u think?

specially when buying used tranny off of poeple can be real shady situation....

Last edited:

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
ive driven both...and i like hydro just on how it feels...but if u could save ur money i did buy a brand new tranny from a acura dealership in las vegas...cost me around 1700 but definitely worth it...

I went with a b16 cable trans because my 91 is cable from the factory. I wouldnt go from hydro to cable though.

jdm jon

i would be saving alot of money going with the b16 cable tranny.....but i guess i just have to bite the bullet on this one and drive easy into 2nd gear......hopefully ill be able to afford a new ITR trans or something....a friend of mine spent 2grand for a 96ITR trans from local boardwalk honda came wrapped up an a box, fresh and clean.....

feeling of driving a car with a fresh clutch and tranny is amazing.

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa
correct me if im wrong. but if the car is Hydro originally you cant run a cable tranny in it.

you can run a hydro tranny in a cable car i know they make the conversion right at the throwout fork for the slave cyl. but i really dont think you can go the other way around.

How ever you can take the gears out of the cable tranny and put them in the hydro casing and run it like that if you know they are good. but i may be wrong on teh first part thats just something i never heard being done. cause there is no clutch cable to pull the throwout bearing.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
^im pretty sure it can be done...just not really worth the hassel to get a lower quality part...

ntensedc4

i got with hydro..i heard and seen on cable transmission that the cable snaps. and heard they suck so i go with hydro