I bought a 91 ls that has been sitting for 4 years

thedb63

the car is in great shape for sitting for 4 years... the guy said he ran it out of gas the night before it woulnt start..... filled the tank up with 20 bucks (about half a tank) and went about his business... the next day the car just woulnt start... and it didnt for almost a year..... took it to a mechanic and he couldnt figure it out... the guy had to call a tow truck to get the car home... the tow truck guy said he had an engine for it said for a 1000 bucks i will take the engine out and put a new one in... turns out the car still doesnt start....so long story short..... i bought the car...changed the fuel filter, distributer, fuel pressure regulator, spark plug wires....and plugs....woopdedooo... i got the car to start...awsome right.....wrong the car just dies out becuase there is too much fuel going into the engine...its fouling out the plugs and my oil is being watered down with fuel... now im not new to tegs . this is my 5th one... so let me know what you guys think........... i have searched and searched cant really find what im looking for

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I think your mechanic is a dumbass, why he would think the engine is bad from sitting is just plain dumb. First off you should have;
-pulled the gas tank and cleaned it out
-cleaned the fuel pump and made sure it worked
-replaced fuel filter
-spark wires
-maybe plugs
-timing belt if it's cracked (wouldn't be surprised if it was rotted after that long)
-changed the oil
-then after a little priming start the car.

In my opinions you guys went about it all wrong, you never should have tried to start it and probably made everything worse than it was to begin with. And I don't think it's a lawnmower so your oil shouldn't be mixing with your fuel.

thedb63

I think your mechanic is a dumbass, why he would think the engine is bad from sitting is just plain dumb. First off you should have;
-replaced fuel filter
-spark wires
-maybe plugs
-timing belt if it's cracked (wouldn't be surprised if it was rotted after that long)
-changed the oil

In my opinions you guys went about it all wrong, you never should have tried to start it and probably made everything worse than it was to begin with. And I don't think it's a lawnmower so your oil shouldn't be mixing with your fuel.

did everything except the first two.... the car does start.........it runs fine for a while if i take the plugs out over night and let the fuel evaporate...i drove it around the block like 7 times and then i shut it off... the next day went to start and it did right away then it died out after like a minute then it wouldnt start again......and about the oil being mixed in with fuel i have no clue but it somehow is getting into the oil

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You said you put a new motor in, who knows what's wrong with that one or if it's even hooked up right.

thedb63

ne ways its not my mechanic and the tow truck guy put the motor in ....for the previous owner...not me i can pull a motor out and put it back in fine ....and im the tranny king.... ask underpressure he knows.....i blow trannies often so dont think i didnt look to make sure everything is ok .........i posted this to get some ideas about what it could be...........for why its not staying started or why it wont start sometimes.......so somebody told me on g2ic.com said to try the o2 sensor... so im gonna try that... i will keep updated

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
-replaced fuel filter
-spark wires
-maybe plugs
-changed the oil

x2!

XeroGlowGs

DA:my work in progress
-replaced fuel filter
-spark wires
-maybe plugs
-changed the oil

x3!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
ne ways its not my mechanic and the tow truck guy put the motor in ....for the previous owner...not me i can pull a motor out and put it back in fine ....and im the tranny king.... ask underpressure he knows.....i blow trannies often so dont think i didnt look to make sure everything is ok .........i posted this to get some ideas about what it could be...........for why its not staying started or why it wont start sometimes.......so somebody told me on g2ic.com said to try the o2 sensor... so im gonna try that... i will keep updated
Ok well pulling a tranny and a motor is a little different. It could be a bunch of things now, does it drive ok, does it smoke, the description you gave doesn't help a whole lot. I mean if your oil has gas in it then your rings are shot and that motor is a piece of shit, so you got screwed dude. Tell the guy you want you money back and put the old motor in. Probably would have ran a lot better.

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
Ok well pulling a tranny and a motor is a little different. It could be a bunch of things now, does it drive ok, does it smoke, the description you gave doesn't help a whole lot. I mean if your oil has gas in it then your rings are shot and that motor is a piece of shit, so you got screwed dude. Tell the guy you want you money back and put the old motor in. Probably would have ran a lot better.
x2 ... bad rings are shitty

jason_guy_yeah

Try this, drop in about a cap or two full of trans fluid (ATF) over night threw your spark plug holes. Your rings could be "stuck". Then do a compression test after you run it. But, other than that sounds like your rings are shot.

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
I'de run a compression check first.. You can get a compression check tool for like $20.00. If you have no pressure when you crank your engine a couple times, then your rings are pretty much shot. I'de also run a leak test to make sure ur valves and valve seals are good too. you can also pick one of them up for like $20-$30.00 too. Or you could do what I did and take an old spark plug, break it down so its just the threads with the center hollow, get a piece of pipe (like 1/2 - 1"), and an air compressor fitting and weld them all together. screw it into your head, connect it to your compressor and if you can hear air out of your intake or exhaust, you got a problem. Just a suggestion. I had a big problem with my old car (93 civic) and i didnt want to take the head off because I never had replaced the timing belt or anything, but i build the leak test and found out my valves were shot so I had to.. You live... you learn.. I guess?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Try this, drop in about a cap or two full of trans fluid (ATF) over night threw your spark plug holes. Your rings could be "stuck". Then do a compression test after you run it. But, other than that sounds like your rings are shot.
They're not stuck he's driven it.

thedb63

ok well anyway i got the car cheap if its the rings then its the rings no big deal i will go buy an engine and put it in...i will try all those things that were mentioned first before i get a new engine...thanks guys

thedb63

the car when it does start now it runs like crap i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running and it went from a full tank of gas all the way to half in like 5 minutes... i was trying to keep the car running to see if i would get any codes but im not getting any....let me know what you think