I don't know anything about audio equipment.

Philip81193

Hey guys, I've been lurking on here for a while, never made an account. I bought my 95 SE a few weeks back and the speakers are crackling, time for something new. I also need a new headunit, one with a CD player and iPod hookup. Overall, nothing fancy. I'd like to spend around $400 total for a complete overhaul. I'm aware that I won't be getting anything super high quality for that. I don't want to hack the car up during installation either, the closer to stock fitting the better. What do you recommend? Do I need to get a sub in order for it to sound good?
I'd appreciate the advice, thanks guys.

I'd even appreciate it if you could just say 'Buy this, that, and this' with specific items.
Here's what I had in mind-
Headunit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE102/Alpine-CDE-102.html?tab=other_items#tab
Speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022SI/Infinity-Reference-6022si.html?o=v&tp=95&avf=N

Total price, $270 if I install on my own.

Last edited:

I<3myb18b1

subs arent mandatory but would be a + and i like pioneer look into their products @ best buy. if u get subs maybe some 10's nothing major but an amp might be called for. get proz to install for less hacks and wire tucks imo

ricardofavela11

yea to me im all about the sound and a sub would make the quality of the music ALOT better. even one 12 inch sub does the trick and satisfies me. if you are looking for some bass, you are going to need a amp for the sub and if you just want the speakers, which the infinities are perfect for, then dont get a sub.

do you want bass or just crisp, clean hitting voices?

TreJordan

Body first, then Motor!
I didnt look at the links but go to sonicelectronix.com. Much better deals than crutchfield. You can get very good kenwood headunits with cd player and ipod hookup for around 130-150. Then you can get a nice pair of JL audios or Rockford Fosgates or Kickers for around 90 each. 6.5 speakers all around from a good brand will run you about 150 for all four. Amps are cheap on there too and its all brand name stuff. I suggest you check that out instead of crutchfield.

Philip81193

I'd be happy with crisp, clear notes if I don't have to sacrifice bass altogether. Just a little bass would satisfy me, enough that I can feel it but not for it to rattle the windows or anything.

TreJordan

Body first, then Motor!
hmm, you might want to go with focal speakers then. 6.5 in the front and find a way to put 6x9s in the rear.

mirrorimg

You wont get much bass out of your little 6.5in speakers. You can run components, with 6.5 mids in the doors, and tweeters up closer to where the mirror is to prevent the overlap of frequencies. That would help with clarity.

If you want a little bass you can get a 10" sub and a small amp to support it. This way you will have a little more deepness to fill out the mids and highs your speakers put out, and not waste all of your hatch space.

TreJordan

Body first, then Motor!
yeah i agree with mirrorimg. I just have a lot of separate stuff in my car, like new 6.5 in front and back, 3 10s, new head unit, tweeters, and two amps.

Philip81193

So those little spots on the dash that look like AC vents are tweeters? Geez, no wonder I never felt any air come out of 'em. :shock:
So that means I can run a decent 6.5" component system in the front, 6.5's in the rear, and new headunit for ~$400? Later this summer when my budget allows I'd like to get a sub and amp and put some quality sound deadening material down.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Alpine is an excellent choice of radio, it's all I use myself, I own 4 of them.
I found the Alpine 102 cheaper on Ebay, HERE

You could get THESE or THESE MB Quart's for a little less money (and free shipping), they're a good brand. But that is a very good price on those Infinity's, no one on Ebay has them cheaper.

And yep, that's a tweeter grill up on the front doors, heh. You can put a component set up front. You'll get some bass notes form a 6.5, it's not gonna shake your rearview mirror, but you'll be able to hear bass.
Focal speakers are very expensive and will blow away your budget, Phillip. Forget about them, you shouldn't be running decent Focal's off a head unit anyway.

Here's some component set's in your price range I'd consider:
MB Quart
Alpine
Diamond Audio

Philip81193

Alpine is an excellent choice of radio, it's all I use myself, I own 4 of them.
I found the Alpine 102 cheaper on Ebay, HERE

You could get THESE or THESE MB Quart's for a little less money (and free shipping), they're a good brand. But that is a very good price on those Infinity's, no one on Ebay has them cheaper.

And yep, that's a tweeter grill up on the front doors, heh. You can put a component set up front. You'll get some bass notes form a 6.5, it's not gonna shake your rearview mirror, but you'll be able to hear bass.
Focal speakers are very expensive and will blow away your budget, Phillip. Forget about them, you shouldn't be running decent Focal's off a head unit anyway.

Here's some component set's in your price range I'd consider:
MB Quart
Alpine
Diamond Audio
Wonderful! Thank you so much, if you had to pick one of those 3 component sets, which would you go for? I might just go for those infinity's in the rear, pretty affordable.

Edit: I just saw the $46 MB Quartz 6.5's you posted in the beginning of your post, I could get those + the MB Quartz component set, that sounds like a good way to round it out with the Alpine CDE 102 headunit.

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I'd probably go with the Diamond component set myself.
I've never owned any Infinity speakers myself, but I seen alot of people over the years say they really like them.
Looks like a nice head and 4 setup you have planned out.
And please, it's MB Quart, not MB Quartz.:)

mirrorimg

The tweeters are in the doors, not in the dash. Let me see if I can dig up a picture of my front door.

Here you can see the tweeter near the top of the picture, in the door panel.

Last edited: