I don't know anything about audio equipment.

mirrorimg

That's an air vent.
Yep, the vent that is supposed to direct air towards the windows when the front defrost is on.

Mirrorimg where did you find door panel inserts like that!!?
Fabric store. Its not made for automotive use, as it is very thin, and doesnt stretch. I have to re-do it every 8 months or so, because the glue always gives out.

Philip81193

I have a lot to learn, thanks guys. So the diamond component system up front, infinity's in back, with the Alpine CDE-102 (and an ipod cord).
I'll order the alpine and infinity's from crutchfield because I like the idea of a warranty and install kit, and I'll get the diamond component system from the link TegSox gave me.
This brings my sum total to a flat $300. Would it be worth it to buy some sound deadening (dynamat, fatmat, edead, etc.) or should that wait until I can buy a sub and amp along with it?

Edit: Might go for these in the rear http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS600/Alpine-SPS-600.html?cc=02&tp=13565&tab=features_and_specs
Would they have any advantage over the infinity's?

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Yeah, if Crutchfield's gonna include a dash kit a wiring harness, that's totally worth it.

It would be a good idea to get a set of speaker bafles for the front midranges to protect them from water. My front mids get wet, and their all corroding on the backside. Baffles also absorb the rear wave (soundwave) of the speaker and keep the door panel from vibrating as much. It's a good investment to protect your speaker investment.

HERE. I bought a set of these just a couple weeks ago.
Dynamat Extreme is great stuff, but pricey. You could get a bit of that and use it around the speakers.

I'd save the rest of your money for a sub and amp.

I'd choose Infinity coaxials over Alpine anyday.

Philip81193

Alright, new puzzle. I don't appear to have tweeters. I'm uploading a picture of my door panel to show you guys, but there's just no tweeter...

Can I still order a component set? How would I mount the tweeter?

Last edited:

mastershank

I'd be happy with crisp, clear notes if I don't have to sacrifice bass altogether. Just a little bass would satisfy me, enough that I can feel it but not for it to rattle the windows or anything.
you would be safe with anything alpine and JL audio

i personally love alipne, havent had a single problem with any of the products
as shor shaking/rattling, you might need a little bit of DynoMat

Philip81193

I ended up just purchasing a pair of shallow mount polk coaxials that were on sale, final price was $85 from crutchfield. For now those'll replace my fronts that are blown, and if I decide to cut holes to mount tweeters I'll order a component system this summer. If I did that I'll just move the polks to the rear.
Then the audio setup will look like this-
Alpine CDE-102 Headunit
ALPINE SPS-600C Components in the front
Polk Audio db651s in the rear
5 channel Amp
Sub + Enclosure yet to be decided
Edead covering every square inch of the interior under the carpet and door panels.

Look good? I think so!

koco

Alpine is an excellent choice of radio, it's all I use myself, I own 4 of them.
I found the Alpine 102 cheaper on Ebay, HERE

You could get THESE or THESE MB Quart's for a little less money (and free shipping), they're a good brand. But that is a very good price on those Infinity's, no one on Ebay has them cheaper.

And yep, that's a tweeter grill up on the front doors, heh. You can put a component set up front. You'll get some bass notes form a 6.5, it's not gonna shake your rearview mirror, but you'll be able to hear bass.
Focal speakers are very expensive and will blow away your budget, Phillip. Forget about them, you shouldn't be running decent Focal's off a head unit anyway.

Here's some component set's in your price range I'd consider:
MB Quart
Alpine
Diamond Audio

Quart, Alpine, and Diamond are all top choices. You really won't find anything better without spending a whole lot more.

killjoy

MB Quart has gone down hill since they were both bought out by Maxxsonics a few years back.. before that, they were the sh!t. Still pretty decent, but I'd go with Boston Acoustic components over all other brands mentioned in this thread with budget and mainstream brands in mind -

that said, I'd go Rainbow or Hertz before I went with Boston. They'd be a tough sell to you guys as I'm sure you've never heard of them, but all it takes is one of you to get a set, and you will spread the word!!

killjoy

Oh and Diamond used to have a great comp set called the HEX series, they were amazing. Their quality has gone slightly down, but they're still pretty good stuff.