I engage vtec, i lose coolant (pic inside)

Squigget

title says it all. had water pump and timing belt replaced two weeks ago. Radiator is full of coolant and so is the resevoir. Hit vtec like.. 4 times on monday just cuz i haven't done it for like 2 months. checked my resevoir and it went down halfway. let the car cool and checked it again. radiator was full and resevoir was still at half.

Found this near my battery under my intake

I have read on youtube or something somewhere that people take this hose off so vtec only comes in once and really loud? I did NOT do this btw. Also my vtec does come in really loud and i dont hear it cross over twice. comes in at 4800 rpm.

anyways could this be where my coolant is just seaping out from? the screw has some rust on it to.. and its just stuffed into the little hose.

Prozon

Kris
Vacuum line for the evap canister. Are there any plugged lines on the intake manifold? I believe that hose should go up to the throttle body, or right next to it.

The coolant leak is unrelated. You may have a pinhole leak in one of your hoses that is causing it to drip at higher rpm's. I would suggest inspecting or replacing all of the coolant hoses.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
The hose probably goes there. I have heard that without the canister you can get a fuel vapor smell, but if you're not smelling anything and don't have a CEL, I wouldn't worry about it really.

Squigget

well.......... that hose answers my question.. i have no CEL but i always smell horrible gas from my exhaust... running rich.

i had my hoses and everything checked before i had my water pump replaced. but okay maybe another inspection wont hurt

k20wagon

That canister is the evap canister or as some people call it a charcoal canister. All it does is reduce the smell of gas, when you take it out or take one of the hoses off you will be able to smell the gas a lot more.

Squigget

Is there a point of it being taken off ? besides it stinking like gas ?

Prozon

Kris
Maybe it fell off and whoever plugged it didn't know where it went. If your car has a vacuum leak it might idle funky, so they could have plugged it.

Also K20Wagon, thank you for repeating everything I said. Lol.