i got a few questions.

XTurboAcuraX

i don't know that much about cars so please help me out.
1. if you can't install an aftermarket mod who will do it. the car dealership?
2. manufacturers like greddy, brembo, veilside, c west, aem, act........ do make better products than let's say something you find at pep boys, right?
3. what kinda jobs you 18 year olds have to be able to afford all the cool mods? seems like all the stuff is really expensive.
4. finally, when some certified mechanic is working on your car is he likely to screw up? (i have a hard time trusting people) will he admit his f*** ups and fix them without extra charge?
These are my dumba$$ questions of today. Please don't make fun of my lack of knowledge for cars, mods, .....

Chuckie Finster

Welcome to the club. You know everybody, at one point, started where you're at right now so don't worry.

1. Car dealerships, might NOT install aftermarket parts for your car. They will, however, do OEM or OEM performance parts. There are performance shops all over the place so talk to them and if they're and import friendly car, Hyundai that you listed is a Korean import, they can do the mods for you for a fee.

2. LOL...I would not buy Pep Boys brand name performance parts. But that's just me.

3. Sorry to the be one to break it to you, but it's an expensive lifestyle. I'll be honest and tell you that most the money you invest into your car, you will NEVER get back (as currency at least). And if you get really addicted...be prepared for long sleepless, head bumping, oil dripped-on, uncomfortable cold nights working under the car just to make it for that event in the morning. It's gotta be one of the hardest and cruel hobbies out there. Turning wrenches, checking clearances, swimming in grease until old age accept you. All that blood, sweat and tears just for a moment of freedom. I would not trade it for anything else. :roll:

But I digress. Any minimum wage job will get you started. It's just a matter of money management and time...lots of time.

4. My experiences with mechanics were never really all that good. They usually charge you too much for their a##work then after that they mess something else up (even though it was perfect before) tell you that it's messed up and you need to get it fixed. Not saying all mechanics are that way, but I've had my experiences and may be just my area or what. So yeah, if they f*ck it up, don't expect them to admit to it.

Edit: And one more thing. Go sign up for the Nor Cal member list.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=39 8)

Last edited:

Baldy201

What Chuckie said is true. Dealership will not install aftermarket performance parts. Pep Boys is not performance unless you are a ricer. I work two jobs to get my money, and i wonder how others get the money that they do. Get to know the right people then you can make so good money. It all depends on the mechanic you go to. There are certian accredations that you can look for to see if they do back there work. I dont know what they are right off hand.

94tegT3 turbo

Yeah if u wanna tune your car and don't wanna spend all that money, you gotta have conncetions. (i.e.) I got all the parts i did in my car through my cousins car club discounts and sponsorships.

XTurboAcuraX

ok cool. so pretty much everything i thought to be true is. however i will not do anything to my hyundai. i am here because i plan on getting an acura.

hueman

certain dealerships will install parts on your car, that's not a problem. there are several service departments around here that sell aftermarket parts for cars and will install them for you. you probably just have to ask; if you have a new car, you probably will void your warranty pretty quick if you take it to them for aftermarket installs. you should pretty much just ask at the closest one if they'll install stuff for you; i don't know why they wouldn't, since they're pretty much a shop just like everyone else.

pep boys has decent stuff if you're looking for maintenance and oem replacements (air filters, oil filters, belts, etc). as far as performance goes, stay away from them.

as far as 18 yr olds with the money to hook up cars goes, i have no idea where they get their money. i guess they just scrimp and save with whatever job they can get. i think when i was 18 i worked part time as a registration clerk on my breaks from college. i could do decent stuff to my car, but it was bit-by-bit stuff. there's a 19 yr old in my local evo club that has crazy amounts of mods to his car, but it's from sponsorships and whatnot.

shops? you're in northern cali. there should be reputable shops coming out of your ears. just look around, read magazines, go to local forums and ask. it'd be really hard i think for you to NOT find one within an hour of you.
________
Suzuki Gs500E

Last edited:

XTurboAcuraX

ok there are some auto performance shops close to where i live, but im not sure on what they sell yet. i want the expensive mods that are made by greddy, aem.........

hueman

i'd probably just ask if they're authorized dealers and whatnot of the parts you want. or you can get a friend who knows his or her way around cars and buy parts off ebay or the internet. it's usually cheaper that way.
________
Ipad guide

Last edited: