I have a CEL question

bens1990teg

check engine light will come on after 5 minutes of driving only when it's warm, if the engine is cold and it's cold outside it doesn't come on. And if I shut the car off and turn it back on, the light will be off and will only turn back on after I drive it again, it won't turn on when it's idling. It's pretty confusing. I'm thinking replace the O2 sensors. What do you all think?

Alvi84

I think you should jump the ECU and read the CEL flashes so you know what it's telling you to replace instead of guessing - I know there is a thread out there that explains how to "jump" your ECU for the code.

bens1990teg

But if I shut the car off to jump the ecu, the CEL shuts off.. Would it still read without a CEL showing on the dash?

bens1990teg

The weird thing is my speedometer wasnt working at the time, and now it is and the CEL turned off... And it hasn't turned on since.. Idk the speedo shouldn't have affected it because it is a mechanical speedo.. But now the CEL is off and has been and im much happier now! Lol

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
It's a 1990, so you have to pull the carpet back and count the blinks. The LED will blink with slow blinks and with fast blinks. If you have four slow and two fast, that is code 42