i have a question for mechanics or shop owners

Carlinag13

if a girl came to your shop and applied for a mechanic position and went to school for like for example like Lincoln Tech. would u hire them? im asking because im a 22y 5ft female, i took auto in a trade high school and im thinking of going back to school for it to make a living out of it. is it worth it or will i be wasting my time?

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
I would if that girl actually knows what she's doing.

Oh, I'm not a shop owner, so I guess my opinion doesn't count...

ArmyIntegra

Registered Teg Driver
If you came into my shop I would at least hire you for part time work. Especially if you're going back to school.

'94 Teg FTW.

OLDSKOOLACURA

I don't care, as long as a person can do the work they were hired for.

I am also not a owner

Posted from my garage

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
There's always going to be some level of stigma that makes it harder for women to get the job predominantly done by men. You will just have to be unwavering in your determination to do the work you want to. It should be based on qualifications but you wouldn't be asking this if it wasn't a legitimate concern. Whether you face it or not when its time to apply just know there will be people fairly hiring if not more willing to hire a girl. Get to know people so they're familiar with you. It's easier to maneuver when you're acquainted with people. I have a friend who's in the situation right now where they don't have an open position for mechanic work so they stuck her with receptionist.

Honestly getting hired is not the issue you'll face. If you have the credentials, most shops would love to hire a female technician. It's just good PR. Plus, if they don't hire you and hire a less qualified man, you'd be able to hang them in a discrimination lawsuit. Might sound cynical and a bit asshole-ish but it's just how it is.
The real hurdle you'll face is being accepted by people at the job, both employee and customer alike. The other techs would likely be the first to come around. Most are more concerned with your knowledge base and ability rather than your gender. Some service writers might cause you a hassle but again, most warm up after they know you know what you're doing. Sadly, you will deal with many male customers who will assume that they have more automotive knowledge than you simply because they are men. You'll deal with assholes no matter where you work or what you do, so in the end it comes down to the real question: Is it what you want to do for a living? If so, go for it and the world be damned. If not, keep looking. Hope that helps.

xZachTheRipper8

like all these guys stated you shouldn't have much problem, I went to universal technical institute and I had a few girls in my class that new what they were doing and I believe one of them got a job fairly quickly. a lot of shops would love to have a girl working, especially if they are attractive because when you talk with customers such as guys, they are more likely to listen and females will feel more at comfortable and will understand better from a womans point of view, my boss is always talking about how he wishes he could find female techs or service advisors to have around the shop

by the way I haven't heard very many good things about Lincoln tech. I know quite a few people who have gone there and they didn't learn jack shit

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Guys more likely to listen to women techs? Not in the sense I think most people would think initially. They're more likely to accept paying for the service or spending money yes. That's like.. law of physics. Lol

You know what carlinag, you're asking or hearing from all the wrong people. You need to ask women. I don't know any i can think of already working inthe field I could ask for you. My friend I mentoned earlier isn't there yet. Does drive a integra and about your age too. Hah. She did do an internship at a performance shop though where she stripped her own car and helped on others.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
just make sure you know your shit. theres a few females i work with (navy helicopter mechanic) that know how to turn wrenches and get dirty. then theres the few that dont know righty tighty, lefty loosey. i fucking hate working with them. even some of the guys. some arent made to turn wrenches.

if you know whats up, you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.