I Have Some Questions I Would Like Answered Someone Plz

chicolindopr

What Does Obd1 Mean??? Im Not To Familiar With The Short Terms For Cars. Also I Would Like To Know If I Can Put A Gsr Ecu On A Ls, Or Would It Be Harmful To The Car Because The Ecu Is Not Meant For That Car? Would I Need A Better Tranny If I Add A Gsr Head To An Ls Block Or Is The Ls Tranny Good Enough For It? Would I Need New Pistons And Rod Also Wit That Conversion Or R The Ls Pistons Good Enough??? Last But Not Least Which Of These Upgrades Should I Do 1st To Last.1) Cai Or Short Ram , 2) Headers, 3) Exhaust, 4) Manifold, 5) Cam Gears, 6) Gsr Head, 7) Stage 1 Clutch, 8) Ecu. If Someone Can Plz Answer These Questions I'd Greatly Appreciate It B/c This Is Actually My 1st Car And I Lucked Out Wit This 95 Ls Cuz It Looks Really Nice And Has Bronze Racing Hart Evolution Rims 17" And To Me The Car Looks Really Good But I Want It Also To Run Really Good But Im Not To Familiar With Upgrades Cuz Like I Said Its My 1st Car. So Plz Someone Give Me Opinions On How I Should Go About Upgrading My Car Thanx

PogKai

B20VTEC
OBD = OnBoard Diagnostic
- Yes you can put a GSR ECU on LS, as long they're same OBD
- GSR tranny is always good to get.
- Stock pistons/rods should work, but get some PR3 to up the compression
- CAI for sure, header, exhaust. Leave the head for last, it'll take more $ and time to get it right.

JOEY

PogKai said:
OBD = OnBoard Diagnostic
- Yes you can put a GSR ECU on LS, as long they're same OBD
- GSR tranny is always good to get.
- Stock pistons/rods should work, but get some PR3 to up the compression
- CAI for sure, header, exhaust. Leave the head for last, it'll take more $ and time to get it right.
good advise. 8) hope you get your ls moving. And really the best thing to do when you do the ls/vtec is to change the pistons.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
On Board Diagnostics is the program in the car's ECU that monitors emmisions. 1994 and 1995 Integra's are OBD1, 96+ are OBD2 and, of course, are more stringent on acceptable emmisions output by the motor. There are 2 O2 sensors in OBD2 Integra's exhaust systems. OBD1's have one O2 sensor.

You don't HAVE to do anything to a tranny when modifying the engine it's mated to. I think getting a new tranny is getting a little ahead of yourself considering your knowledge level and mods stage, but like PogKai said, it wouldn't hurt.

Keeping the LS pistons with a GSR head and a stock headgeasket would give you a 9.85:1 CR. It's a safe CR, but if it is the CR you want will depend on what your future mods will be. If you will do cams in the future, you'll want the CR that best complements the set of camshafts you choose. 9.8:1 compression won't be enough for any aftermarket cam.

Before you buy anything, you need to make a few choices:
1. Do you want to focus on low/mid or high rpm power?
2. How far are you going to go with your mods?
-Just bolt-on's? (I,H,C,E)
-Or those, plus internals? (cams, pistons, ect...)

Answers to those questions will determine which parts to buy. So let us know...

chicolindopr

TegSox said:
On Board Diagnostics is the program in the car's ECU that monitors emmisions. 1994 and 1995 Integra's are OBD1, 96+ are OBD2 and, of course, are more stringent on acceptable emmisions output by the motor. There are 2 O2 sensors in OBD2 Integra's exhaust systems. OBD1's have one O2 sensor.

You don't HAVE to do anything to a tranny when modifying the engine it's mated to. I think getting a new tranny is getting a little ahead of yourself considering your knowledge level and mods stage, but like PogKai said, it wouldn't hurt.

Keeping the LS pistons with a GSR head and a stock headgeasket would give you a 9.85:1 CR. It's a safe CR, but if it is the CR you want will depend on what your future mods will be. If you will do cams in the future, you'll want the CR that best complements the set of camshafts you choose. 9.8:1 compression won't be enough for any aftermarket cam.

Before you buy anything, you need to make a few choices:
1. Do you want to focus on low/mid or high rpm power?
2. How far are you going to go with your mods?
-Just bolt-on's? (I,H,C,E)
-Or those, plus internals? (cams, pistons, ect...)

Answers to those questions will determine which parts to buy. So let us know...
ok thanks alot for all the advise u guys gave me.....i know that i want to make my car faster and i know what parts would help give my car some balls...the question is if my car will be able to handle what im doin. i wanna make sure i do things right so dats y i came on dis website. a friend recommended it and he said that the ppl on this website know there integras really good. so thats y im askin for advise hoping that someone can actually help me out and influence me ina good way in upgrading my car. which intake is good for its price cuz i was thinkin maybe a AEM or INJEN but im not sure if theres a betta one for its price. i also wanna get an exhaust system and a gsr head. and headers. but when i change the head will the headers that i buy for the LS still fit on the one for the GSR and will the intake bolt right on as well. Dats y i wanted to know what order i should buy the parts so that i wont have to go out and buy 2 of everything.

chicolindopr

o yea i forgot the intake manifold....i doubt that i can buy one for an LS and it'll fit on the GSR. i wanna do all the small things like intake, exhaust, manifold, headers etc... 1st so then when i buy the head dat'll be all i need and maybe some pistons and rods. and in the long run maybe a couple of months from now buy a turbo kit...but im assumin it'll be betta witout da GSR head from what i heard. Also im not familiar at all wit compression ratios or ne of dat stuff so i really need to do my homework on cars. but hopefully wit what i read on dis website and the advise and info u guys give me i'll learn soon enuff im just hopin dat someone can help me out cuz i really need it and i dont wanna spend unnecessary money.

JOEY

chicolindopr said:
o yea i forgot the intake manifold....i doubt that i can buy one for an LS and it'll fit on the GSR. i wanna do all the small things like intake, exhaust, manifold, headers etc... 1st so then when i buy the head dat'll be all i need and maybe some pistons and rods. and in the long run maybe a couple of months from now buy a turbo kit...but im assumin it'll be betta witout da GSR head from what i heard. Also im not familiar at all wit compression ratios or ne of dat stuff so i really need to do my homework on cars. but hopefully wit what i read on dis website and the advise and info u guys give me i'll learn soon enuff im just hopin dat someone can help me out cuz i really need it and i dont wanna spend unnecessary money.
you heard wrong. whoever told you this is ignorant.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If you stay on your present planned path, you will be spending a lot of unnecessary money.

You sure as heck don't seem like you "know what parts would help give my car some balls" because you are ALL OVER THE PLACE, man. I don't even know where to begin.

Before you change a single part, you need to pick ONE, or the OTHER....NA or FI.
-If your gonna go turbo, you'll be ditching you entire I/H/C/E system.
-If you eventually want boost, a lower compression ratio would be more desireable. For NA, you want it higher.
-A GSR head would be fine for NA or boost. So if your hellbent on getting a GSR head, knock yourself (and your wallet) out.

I still say your gonna get yourself in way over your head if you don't slow down and come up with a plan for your car, a final goal to shoot for. The first step is deciding NA or FI.

chicolindopr

TegSox said:
If you stay on your present planned path, you will be spending a lot of unnecessary money.

You sure as heck don't seem like you "know what parts would help give my car some balls" because you are ALL OVER THE PLACE, man. I don't even know where to begin.

Before you change a single part, you need to pick ONE, or the OTHER....NA or FI.
-If your gonna go turbo, you'll be ditching you entire I/H/C/E system.
-If you eventually want boost, a lower compression ratio would be more desireable. For NA, you want it higher.
-A GSR head would be fine for NA or boost. So if your hellbent on getting a GSR head, knock yourself (and your wallet) out.

I still say your gonna get yourself in way over your head if you don't slow down and come up with a plan for your car, a final goal to shoot for. The first step is deciding NA or FI.
well im glad ur advising me so 1st off i need to know what NA and Fl is and also whats I/H/C/E system. i have moeny to buy parts that i need but i just wanna know which way should i go to give my car balls easy and not spend so much money. dats exactly y im on dis site askin for help. if i knew i wouldnt be askin these questions so im hopin u guys can help me. tell me what i should buy 1st and how i should go about it. for now i just wanna make my car an LS/vtec so i just want someone to explain how i should go about makin it that way witout spendin mad money.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
NA and FI are the 2 options you have to increase an engines power. Well, there's also Nitrous, but anyway...

NA = Naturally Aspirated, also called All Motor. This is when you increase the efficiency of the motor by swapping out existing parts to increase intake airflow speed and quantity, create maximum burn efficiency and remove spent exhaust gases quickly and completely.
FI = Forced Induction, which means a Turbo or a Supercharger. This is when you force-feed air into an engine.
I/H/C/E = the common abbrviation for Intake, Header, Catalytic converter, and Exhaust.

I don't know much about building an LS/VTEC engine except that it's not easy to do and maintain reliability, and you wouldn't want one if your going to boost anyway. Some other guys on here can help you out in that area better than I can, tell you how much you should expect to spend and stuff.
Are you sure you want the headache of a boosted LS/VTEC engine?

JOEY

TegSox said:
NA and FI are the 2 options you have to increase an engines power. Well, there's also Nitrous, but anyway...

NA = Naturally Aspirated, also called All Motor. This is when you increase the efficiency of the motor by swapping out existing parts to increase intake airflow speed and quantity, create maximum burn efficiency and remove spent exhaust gases quickly and completely.
FI = Forced Induction, which means a Turbo or a Supercharger. This is when you force-feed air into an engine.
I/H/C/E = the common abbrviation for Intake, Header, Catalytic converter, and Exhaust.

I don't know much about building an LS/VTEC engine except that it's not easy to do and maintain reliability, and you wouldn't want one if your going to boost anyway. Some other guys on here can help you out in that area better than I can, tell you how much you should expect to spend and stuff.
Are you sure you want the headache of a boosted LS/VTEC engine?
I dont agree with your last statment. There are many reliable ls/vtec's around where I live some of which hit 13's all motor and are daily drivers. With the oil line kits available it makes the conversion a lot easier and a lot of the pros run ls/vtec's on boosted cars. The last ls/vtec turbo that ran here where I live hit an 11 flat at 134mph. Just make sure as with any build, to take your car to a knowledgable mechanic that has good credentials. Personally I would rather have a boosted ls/vtec rather than a boosted B18b.
But anyways tell us what kinda budget youre working with and itll be a lot easier to help you peice something reliable and quick together instead of playing these guessing games.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
JOEY said:
a lot of the pros run ls/vtec's on boosted cars.
I'm sure many Pro's do, operative word...Pro's. This kid is just starting out, and I'm trying to get him to slow down and develop a plan and maybe boosting an LS/VTEC isn't the best route for him to go down. You gotta crawl before you walk, you know? But hey, if he has a mechanic lined up who has the knowledge and can do it up for him, that's great. But I think if he had a mechanic with said knowledge, he would be asking him all these question and not anonymous strangers on the internet.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If he gets a turbo, he won't need a header.
If he gets a Supercharger, he should get a header.
If he stays NA, he needs an exhaust no larger than 2.5 inches.
-depending on how far he goes with his mods and where he wants his powerband will determine what size exhaust he should get. 2.25, 2.36, 2.38 or 2.5.
If he boosts with a Turbo or a SC, he needs a 3 inch exhaust.