i need HELP with my turbo setup that I wanna do!!!

00AVA00

ok so i have a B18A1 in a '96 LS. i bought a .60 trim turbo that i got but thats all so far. and idk where to get a manifold for it or exactly everything that i would need to have the best setup possible. the engine mods i have right now are miniman, headers, exhaust, and my self built custom cold air intake. can anyone give me any pointers so im headed in the right direction pleeaassee?? thanks

oh, i was also thinking bout doin a vtec head swap but ive heard that its not good to turbo a vtec? anyone know why?

Last edited:

MeZ90

LS MONSTER!!!
well i have a 99 LS and i didnt want to do turbo because if you dont know how to take care of it every 6months your engine will blow and it sucks when that does happen i will be going for a vtec swap soon and getting some headers and exhaust from Dave when i get the money collected and that all i will be doing to my LS in my opinion i would just do vtec swap because turbo is to much of a bitch to maintain but if you have experience withe the TURBO then go for it. :twocents:

codeman_11901

pretty much all of your engine mods will go away if you boost it. only because you will have a different header, intake, exhaust, etc. I am going turbo as well. what brand turbo is it? you can do a ls/vtec as well if you want but its about 1300 bucks for all the parts you need. without a turbo you gain about 75hp, and if you plan on boosting it dont waste your time with the head, keep your stock head and go from there. you need to do lots and lots and lots and lot and lots( getting the picture?) and lots and lots and lots of research before you start doing anything with forced induction. you need to know exactly how and where everything will go, how it will fit, what works best, alot of stuff. www.spoolinperformance.com has all you need but i would highly suggest looking around our Forced Induction/Nitrous forum, there is lots of info that will help you out and give you an idea of what you will want to do with it. i hopped into this turbo game hoping to spend about 4,000 for a nice built motor and a good turbo setup. turns out im droppin about 3,500 in the motor and about just as much for a nice turbo setup. mind you my setup isnt just 8lbs of boost, but you have to know where your reliability becomes iffy and where your power goals are. stay non-vtec and reply with anymore questions.

codeman_11901

btw, if you have a B18A1 in a 96, someone swapped your engine because your block should be a B18B1

codeman_11901

you have to let your engine oil cool down before you shut the engine off, it sounds really confusing. but you want the oil to keep flowing through your turbo until it cools down. when you shut it down hot, the oil cokes up and destroys the turbo prematurely. thats prolly what he is talking about ^^^ if you allow proper time for the oil to cool turbos are usually extremely reliable pieces of equipment. IMO letting my engine sit at idle for a minute or two after running it is way worth it when im gunna make 400hp with my turbo. cant do that with a vtec head.

oodie

A 60 trim assuming a 60-1 turbo. The power band is gonna be garbage in a ls maybe about 1200 rpms at full boost. look into a 57 trim much better for a ls or b20 turbo. Btw turbo's are very reliable when have the proper oil going to it using a restrictor and like stated letting the turbo cool off on hard runs. Thats what turbo timers are for.

White_Rabbit

well i have a 99 LS and i didnt want to do turbo because if you dont know how to take care of it every 6months your engine will blow and it sucks when that does happen:
:shock: WTF?! lol

00AVA00

btw, if you have a B18A1 in a 96, someone swapped your engine because your block should be a B18B1
ya i know its swapped lol the guy who had it before me musta done it. kinda threw me off when i found out that i had a DC-2 engine in my DC-4 lol. but i know a little bit about forced induction but not a whole lot I will be taking my power and performance class here pretty soon, I am currently going to UTI so i do know quite a fair amount about cars and all that, but not a ton about Hondas in particular. and yes i know that ill have to let the oil cool down, and id most likely get a turbo timer (my buddy has one on his 2g DSM) and im not too sure on the brand of my turbo, it says AiResearch on it. i heard from someone it was a sister co. of Greddy or something, but idk for sure so don't quote me on it lol

White_Rabbit

If you had a DC2 engine you would have a vtec motor. And oodie....full boost at 1200 RPM and you're saying go smaller? LMAO!

wite2nr

If you had a DC2 engine you would have a vtec motor. And oodie....full boost at 1200 RPM and you're saying go smaller? LMAO!
no what he is saying is that you would only be in full boost for 1200rpms with a super 60 on a stock ls.
If I were you, I would put a vtec head on it, and gt3076r turbo would suit you well :p

00AVA00

WOW :shock: my appologies on that lol im not sure why i said DC2 lol i was lookin at a list of the chassis codes n musta looked at the wrong line. like i said, i don't know a whole lot about hondas lol. but i am 100% positive that it is a B18A1 that is in my ls, which is from a DA9 correct?

and im going to be getting a ported and polished vtec head from my buddy. but there's on thing i gotta throw in there,, right now i can beat gsr's...im not quite sure what is done to my car but i know the timing is advanced, but idk if that would do it enough to be able to beat a gsr so im thinkin there might be something else done to it that i don't know about. an clues on what it could possibly be???

Walter_Melon

i think you should start off with a cheap kit and go from there ts. since you already have a turbo, you could just get a log style manifold, intercooler, piping, wastegate, bov etc. its much easier just starting with a full kit though imo. most importantly though, do a lot of research