i quite perplexed by this probelm. Help me?

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
So it is nearing the end of summer and I have two days before I start college. My floorboards of my Integra are completely soaked wet. Both passenger and the driver side. The backseat floor is also wet. It hasn't really rained in Cali this summer. The smell is very mysterious. I just noticed the problem like weeks ago. If you need info, I have a 1999 Integra LS 4dr. What could be the problem?

Jvest

*GET SHOOK*
Are u losing coolant? Could be the heater core..
Do u have a sun roof?
Could also be the wiper cowl cracked..

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Now that you mentioned it, my coolant always "disappeared". I would have refill it every couple of months though. I do have a sun roof. But I doubt that's the problem since there hasn't rained in a while. I'm in the process of removing the carpet....

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Have fun replacing your heater core...that would be my guess at least.

Prozon

Kris
A bad heater core would cause the funny smell, coolant missing and the soaked floor, however I think you would notice the coolant loss faster. Who knows though. When my heater core went out in my Blazer it didn't soak my floor at all, it was a pinhole and it just sprayed steam out whenever the heater was on. It was kind of like an anti-freeze sauna of death. Lol.

96GSRteg

Tyler
check your spare tire area. it is very common for the tail light gaskets to tare and for water to sit in there, then as you drive around it sloshes everywhere. which will also cause a moldy smell. even if it hasnt rained for a while there could still be some back there. its worth a check because its easy to do.

Jvest

*GET SHOOK*
check your spare tire area. it is very common for the tail light gaskets to tare and for water to sit in there, then as you drive around it sloshes everywhere. which will also cause a moldy smell. even if it hasnt rained for a while there could still be some back there. its worth a check because its easy to do.
This is true but it would never make it all the way to the front floorboards as it would get soaked up before it ever made it that far and if there was enough back there to slosh out it have to be a huge leak and it would be extremely noticeable..
Also it would get the rear seat wet due to it having to run under the seat to get to the rear floor.
I'm Pretty sure it's the heater core or the wiper cowl or maybe even the windshield gasket.
If it is the heater core however I feel bad for you because it is a nightmare to change and unless you have quite a bit of mechanical experience I would suggest taking it to an actual shop and letting them do it because it requires pulling out the dash and there is alot that can easily be broken when doing this.
Good luck no matter what you decide.

96GSRteg

Tyler
This is true but it would never make it all the way to the front floorboards as it would get soaked up before it ever made it that far and if there was enough back there to slosh out it have to be a huge leak and it would be extremely noticeable..
Also it would get the rear seat wet due to it having to run under the seat to get to the rear floor.
are you speaking from experience with your teg? Cause I am and it happened to me. its not that uncommon of a problem.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
The trunk is fine. It's dry. The spare tire is rusted, though. Maybe there was some sort of water contact. But really FML! Cursed coolant. My carpet was still dripping with coolant once I got it out of the car. That's how soaked it was. I was always wondering what that syrupy smell was. So i googled Integra Heater core ...the part is cheap. The installation looks....very interesting. I must say.[YOUTUBE="I'm Gonna Have FUN"]2EigNDIeujI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Ryan659

If you don't want to take it to a mechanic, I suggest atleast picking up the Haynes repair manual for this.

Prozon

Kris
A haynes repair manual would be completely useless for this install. If anything download a factory service manual. I noticed in haynes manual's they tend to list the steps, without detail..

Replacing the heater core:
1.) Remove the dash.
2.) Remove the old heater core.
3.) Reinstall the new heater core.
4.) Reinstall the dash.

OR-

1.) Remove the dash. (See Section 5.1)

(Section 5.1) Removing the dash.
1.) Remove the four screws holding the panels on.
2.) Remove the climate control trim. (See section 3.2)

Lol. It's either they make you jump around, or they just don't describe things. Factory service manual is 1000x better.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
^ this...

I had an early 90s maxima that I replaced the heater core on. Haynes was worthless...internet forum DIY with pics ftw!!!

Ryan659

If they have already described the step, they are not going to put it in again at every point you need to perform that step. That would make the manual 10x longer than what it needs to be. It's easy enough to follow, just start on step one and go in order until the job is done, easy enough.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
I'm willing to take the risk. The cheapest estimate I can find is $700+ for installation of a heater core. That is way too much for me. That doesn't include A/C evacuation and recharge. I'm a poor college student. I did download the Integra 1998-2001 Service Manual from HondaHookup. Loads of info I found there including detailed steps on replacing heater core...The thing I need most is time. I found a temporary fix. Something like bypassing the heater core which I'm still trying to figure out. Do guys know how to do it?