ICU oil light issue.

Jesse_Heck

I had an oil light come on. I checked the oil in it and its fine. I did an oil change and new filter and new sending unit. Light still didnt turn off. I ran the car and wiggled some of the wires near the interior fuse box and got the light to go off. I let the car run for a while and the light stayed off. So i came back a few hours later and started it again and the oil light came back and wont go away. I also know i have oil pressure. Is it possible that the ICU behind the fusebox where i jiggled the wires is going bad? After i came back a few hours later i tried joggling the wired again but this time the oil light wouldnt go away. Should i replace the ICU next?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
How do you know you have oil pressure? Do you hook up a gauge?

The ECU/ICU is not aware of oil pressure. You have a bad sensor, shorted wires or low oil pressure as potential causes of the oil light. You've eliminated one of those.

If there is a short in the wire then the light would remain on with the sensor unplugged.

Jesse_Heck

Not sure i have enough oil pressure but i definitly have enough to turn the light off because i started the car and forgot to put sealer on the sending unit threads and it drained 2 quarts of oil in about 4 seconds. I managed to have the oil light off long enough to run the car for about 4 or 5 minutes and warm it up a bit. Is it possible that ICU is working intermitently? Its not a shorting issue and its not a pressure issue. I checked and the wire remained on but dim when i unplugged the wire. So after i plugged it back in and jiggled the wires under the dash i got the oil light to remain off for a while.

Jesse_Heck

Does the oil light and sensor circuit run through the ICU at all even?

dlo253

the ICU has nothing to do with the oil light. If your ICU was bad, you would have no intermittent wipers, no rear defrost, clock, and... I forget what else. lol, its been a while.

if you drained all that oil so quickly maybe you did more damage than you think.... that light pretty much comes on when its too late. better hope its a short or sumthn.

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Just because you can pump oil onto the floor doesn't mean its building pressure inside the engine. For instance if you had a spun bearing that's where you would lose your oil pressure. While your oil pump would pump like normal, the parts that need oil arent getting it because there is a leak upstream.

Remove the oil pressure sender and hook up a mechanical pressure gauge. You can use a compression tester gauge if you have one. You need an adapter to 1/8"-28 BSP. It should read 10psi at 800rpm and 50psi at 3000rpm.

g6qwerty

I did have a problem where, my ICU was bad, the interment wiper blades did work, but the oil pressure light was always on, but after a while the interment wiper blades stopped working now and then, but if you ran the car with a huge oil leak check what Muckman said for the oil pressure first.

My old ICU had one bad capacitor and one transistor that fried.