Idle @ 5000 RPMS

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
How are you pulling codes usually your code should look something like P0401 (thats a misfire on cylinder 1 code). well besides the fact that you have a vacuum leak now(bad gasket and one bolt missing = not good) I'm really thinking you mixed up a couple connectors (i've heard of this problem before and usually was the result of mixed sensors), but i was mistaken when i said IAT and TPS. More than likely you switched the MAP with the TPS they have the same plug up and are right next to each other. Can you tell what color the wires are coming from each? I'll be able to tell you if you have them connected wrong. And yeah man weird problems can throw weird codes even tho the sensor isn't bad. If the gasket is trashed like you say (by the way what makes you think its bad?) and you lost a bolt then my suggestion is to replace the gasket (PB blaster will help get those stingy intake bracket bolts out) make sure you tighten the bolts in the correct pattern as well as correct torque (this is a very important part). Once you replaced the gasket double and triple check that all the vacuum and coolant bypass hoses are on correct and make sure all sensors are connected and actually have a good connection and in the right location. Need pics? wiring, vacuum diagrams?

McMahon

JackTuned
How are you pulling codes usually your code should look something like P0401 (thats a misfire on cylinder 1 code). well besides the fact that you have a vacuum leak now(bad gasket and one bolt missing = not good) I'm really thinking you mixed up a couple connectors (i've heard of this problem before and usually was the result of mixed sensors), but i was mistaken when i said IAT and TPS. More than likely you switched the MAP with the TPS they have the same plug up and are right next to each other. Can you tell what color the wires are coming from each? I'll be able to tell you if you have them connected wrong. And yeah man weird problems can throw weird codes even tho the sensor isn't bad. If the gasket is trashed like you say (by the way what makes you think its bad?) and you lost a bolt then my suggestion is to replace the gasket (PB blaster will help get those stingy intake bracket bolts out) make sure you tighten the bolts in the correct pattern as well as correct torque (this is a very important part). Once you replaced the gasket double and triple check that all the vacuum and coolant bypass hoses are on correct and make sure all sensors are connected and actually have a good connection and in the right location. Need pics? wiring, vacuum diagrams?
Well, I bridge the thing under the passenger side under the dash, turn ignition key on. Count the codes.
6, 7, 10, 41. I know I'm reading it correct because I know I dont have an O2 sensor and I know that my ECT is bad as well.

As for the connectors, its really obvious where they go, they can literally only reach so far. You I could have done the TPS/MAP switch but then the Map sensor wires would be wicked long, as the TPS wires would be wicked short. AS for the bracket bolts, I tried PB Blaster, as well as Liquid Wrench, the damn things just dont budge and I dont want to round off the bolts heads (priod experience). I dont want to get a torch up in there because of a small gas leak (seperate problem, already working on fixing). The gasket is bad, when I had taken everything off except the bracket bolts, I could move the IM a little bit, and almost all the of gasket is missing. Any diagrams would help though and I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

McMahon

JackTuned
Have you tried resetting your ecu?
How do I do this?

I removed the ECU Fuse already, counted to 10, then put it back in.
Disconnect the battery is the only other thing I can think of to reset it, unless theres a button or something that I dont know about.

Rich-PMS

Disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes. Reconnect, check codes to verify.

Then start the car and see what happens

McMahon

JackTuned
Disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes. Reconnect, check codes to verify.

Then start the car and see what happens
Once again, I'll have to do this tomorrow (most likely). I dont leave work til later and dont want to disturb the neighbors. Plus, its like 25 degrees out right now lol.

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here. On top of the TB is your MAP and on the side of the TB is your TPS (as i'm sure all of you know). The pic is a view from the top So more than likely yeah you got them on the right way (had to offer this because even the best of us make stupid...stupid mistakes). You checked IAC right? I think I remember you saying you did. Well if I had any suggestion after you try resetting the ECU like the others said I hate to say it but you probably need to find a way to replace that gasket, taking it half the way off and putting it back together again probably ripped it and you have a knarley vacuum leak and since your ECT and O2 sensor is bad/missing its probably trying to give it a cold start situation and nothing to regulate it just goes haywire.

Last edited:

Rich-PMS

Check the iacv thread I started. There's TONS of info in there.

McMahon

JackTuned
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here. On top of the TB is your MAP and on the side of the TB is your TPS (as i'm sure all of you know). The pic is a view from the top So more than likely yeah you got them on the right way (had to offer this because even the best of us make stupid...stupid mistakes). You checked IAC right? I think I remember you saying you did. Well if I had any suggestion after you try resetting the ECU like the others said I hate to say it but you probably need to find a way to replace that gasket, taking it half the way off and putting it back together again probably ripped it and you have a knarley vacuum leak and since your ECT and O2 sensor is bad/missing its probably trying to give it a cold start situation and nothing to regulate it just goes haywire.
yea I'm sure they are in the right place. I talked to a buddy who has a lift to make it easier to work on getting that bracket off. I did check the IAC. I still have to reset my ECU and I'll come back and give an update.

McMahon

JackTuned
ding ding ding
Yea haha, for some reason I didnt think that that caused a vacuum leak and just affected my gas mileage and the air thats put into the engine.

But I cant get the bracket off. I'm sick of working in the cold/snow so I'm trying to get it to a buddy's so I can get it up on a left for possible better leverage.

McMahon

JackTuned
Things are looking WAY more obvious. I reset my ECU by unplugging battery.

Started the car, STILL idles at 5kish, but theres no more check engine light.

Definitely the gasket...