Idle issues

1992GSR

Just had my 92 GSR rebuilt, and a few bugs have come about. Mainly, it idles at 1500-2000, then will drop to 900 if you touch the throttle, then back up to 2K. My tech thinks it needs a throttle body, but I dont want to throw parts at it. Like I said, I just had it rebuilt, meaning it has 16 miles on it. Anyone experience this?

Hacksterbaby

Hmmm... Sounds like a vacuum issue. Good on you for not wanting to throw parts at it. Some things to try (and do it yourself, if your tech's best advice is "replace the throttle body"- they usually don't just totally "go bad"). You can search out how to do all of this stuff here or with Google.

1. Clean your FITV. Make sure the retainer ring in the FITV is snugged down tight.
2. Clean your IACV. Then set your idle to ~700 RPM with the engine warm and the IACV electrical connector unplugged. Then reset your ECU.
3. Clean the throttle body really well with throttle body spray cleaner, and an old toothbrush.
4. Make sure your vacuum hoses are routed correctly (should be a sticker on the underside of the hood).
5. If everything's routed right, do a Google search for how to check for vacuum problems.
6. Check your TPS for reference voltage and output voltage. It can be adjusted, but it takes a little do-ing.

Again- you can search out how to do all of this online. Good luck with it...