Idle problem

xios

Hey everyone so the problem is that when i start my car when its cold it idle's horrible like it goes up to like 2k rpm and stays there for a bit then it starts going from 2000 rpm to 1500rpm up and down and it keeps doing this until it warms up and then it goes back to normal at 900rpm.Also sometimes when i'm driving it the rpm sometimes goes down to like 500rpm when i come to a red light or a stop.

Since there's no check engine light on i can't check for codes to see if a sensor is bad or not but a friend of mine thinks it could be that the IAC valve.

I wanted to know what everyone else thinks before i go and spend 250$ on a new IAC valve at auto zone :???:

Cman46290

you can try cleaning thr idle air control valve first... and see if that works... also clean your throttle body out while you are at it...

are you driving a manual or an auto?

xios

Sorry i forgot to mention that i had already cleaned it but its still has the same problem but i din't clean the throttle body though

and its a auto

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
in my auto the normal idle seems to be about 750 rpm, very often its down around 500 rpm, and when its bad its at like 250 rpm, dont really have the time to look into it cause im trying to fix my 5speed

xios

Sorry for replying all late..But yea i was busy and i din't have time to work on my car but i finally changed the AIC valve and i also changed the thermostat while i was at it.The idle problem is still there but not as bad but now my check engine light is on.I will scan the codes it gives me to see why it turned on.But also now when i start my car when its cold the idle goes all the way down to like 200rpm..When i put it in gear it goes up to 900rpm but when i come to a stop a get like a slight bad take off kinda like if my accelerator gets stuck.And after i drive it for a bit and i put it in park the idle goes up to1500rpm so i don't really know what to do anymore haha

reg_lus

well my car idles like crazy too..i just went to my Throttle Body and covered the bottom hole. It stop the idle, though i'm not suppose to do that..lol

xios

Haha i'll rather not cover that hole but thank you for the advice

As for that video,I will try it and see if it helps although i drove the car after scanning to see why the check engine light is on and the idle problem is gone.But now the accelerator problem when i come to a stop its really annoying

Also the code i got off the check engine was the temperature sensor but i just changed that sensor like 2 weeks ago -_- can it really go bad that fast?

Also I was wondering since the IAC valve is also a sensor how come i never got a check engine light for it?

Devo04

after disconcerting the IAC you should reset the ECO. disconnecting the IAC puts a code in the memory that turns the light on. some times the light goes away but it stayed on for me until i reset the ECO that cleared the code and no issues since