idle trouble at startup then fine.. 99 ls

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
I have a 99 Integra ls engine in my 93 honda civic and when i start the engine it reves up initially then drops so low that it almost stalls for 1 to 2 minutes... then it jumps back up to just under 1k rpm and is fine till the next startup... what sensor is causing this? does anyone know?

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Clean your throttle, IACV & FITV also might just be that and not even the sensor(s). I had to clean mine and all is good. Good luck. Keep us updated.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Lol, as said before the common cause for this is the IACV, clean that and see, also, you may have a vacum leak causing a surge, but that usually lasts even when heated.

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
stock as of right now.. no. its not surging like a vacuum leak although im not ruling that out... i can hold my foot on the gas and keep it at 1k revs till it starts running normally... thats why i think its a sensor... the computer is just over riding that input after a certain amount of time it seems like..

i will try all these things but it may be a while... mid terms coming up then spring break..

japanmade

sounds like your idle air control valve like evryone says. your fast idle thermal valve can also be an issue, however on sk2 throttlebody it is eliminated and I have no issues.

coldsnape

I have the same problem with my 97 ls, completely stock, and i cleaned out the IAC valve multiple times with no luck, I also check the throttle body position sensor...anyway I am curious about what Japanmade mentioned about the s2k throttle body, does it bolt right up with all the sensors? please let me know, thanks ahead of time...

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Hey... been a while! changed the map... still the problem though... doing the rest this weekend... Also if anyone has the numbers... how many miles should i be getting to a tank?? I drive pritty aggressively but not overly so.. its a 93 lx civic (4 door) with a b18b1 1.8L engine w/ a gsr trans...

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Interesting issues.... messing around with it i discovered i had two map sensors... one on the manifold and one next to the fuel filter. unplugged both and left the one originally on the intake unplugged and plugged the harness from the map next to the fuel filter into the manifold map. this changed things. before my car would idle like crap (really low revs) when i first started it then after about a minute it would run normally... swapping map plugs made it start normally right away! this is too crazy...
now to see if it fixed my fuel consumption problem... the car seems to run better when driving too.