If a car has had valve stems and guides replaced, what does it mean?

MJT1212

What happened to the car exactly that caused this? Could the replacements cause further problems down the line or to other components? Should I buy a used car that has had this done is my ultimate question, and if so is it worth the same as if it had the original or does it lose some value? Thanks

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Its likely that the timing belt probably snapped at some point in time during its life and damaged the cylinder head, if the car runs smoothly then it should be a non issue.

collkid

I realize now you made a Second Thread. I'll say this First; It sounds like you DO NOT know enough to do your own Pre-Purchase Inspection. Second; Ask the owner why they have been replaced? The timing belt snapping is possible, but also, some guys will do it to fix possibly burning oil issues.

Its still a pretty good deal IMO, but do get the inspection first.

MJT1212

I will ask him why they have been replaced tomorrow morning.

Car has 123000 as you saw...

Seems like most think that this has not caused the car to lose value...any other opinions?

I'd much rather have this 2000 GSR with 123K for 5200 than a 2002 Civic EX Sedan with 80K for 7000....anyone else agree?

collkid

Where are you located? Ya civic would be find if you just wanted a basic DD, but the GSR will be a FUN DD.

MJT1212

I'm located in Raleigh, NC

I really want Integra, Civic sedan would just be no fun...Civic EX coupe would be my 2nd option (and prelude but there non existent)

BankiBoi

If the timing belt broke he probably messed up some valves and replaced them with new ones and valve stems that would be why

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

MJT1212

i just got a reply from him, he said he had a "burnt valve" and just went ahead and replaced all of them

are there any other problems that may of occured at the time of a burnt valve that still may be wrong?

eiznekeM

i just got a reply from him, he said he had a "burnt valve" and just went ahead and replaced all of them

are there any other problems that may of occured at the time of a burnt valve that still may be wrong?

A burnt valve is from carbon build up on the back of the valve head causing overheating to the point it melts or "burns" the valve material away. The guides were probably replaced just because of wear, so it was most likely eating some oil. But it he burnt a valve, likely wasn't taking care of the valve train as a whole, possibly too long of service and oil change intervals.