Ignition/distibutor problem?

Xavier1

so last night my 92 integra wouldnt start due to a dead battery. i asked someone for a jump, and it started up no problem. i drove for a little bit, then stopped to get gas. i turn my car off, cause i totally forgot that i needed to leave it running for a while to charge the battery. so when i try starting it again it turns over but doesnt start. i try jumping it again, but this time it doesnt work. and thats my problem: it will turn over and eveything, but wont start. its really starting to frustrate me :x lol. can anyone help me out? theres plenty of gas in it, i changed the battery, and put brand new spark plugs (which dont spark), so i think it might be a ignition/distributor problem? i dont know alot about cars yet, so i could be totally wrong. please help! :D

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
replace the distributor, make sure to get an oem one as some of the after market distributors don't allow for full timing adjustment. you could also try taking off the cap and checking the screw that holds in the rotor. the distributor on my friends D-series had a problem with the screw coming loose and causing the rotor to just move around and not send current to the wires. it's a long shot but give it a try, some times the littlest of things can cause big problems.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
I would say distributor too, but I don't know what you mean by plenty of fuel. There's always a checklist for everything.
-Spark:Are you getting anything, and if you are are you getting all 4 cylinders.
-Fuel: Are you getting fuel to the injectors, fuel pump might be out/relay too.
-Compression: Are you sure timing belt didn't snap, and other things involving Compression Loss
-Few Sensors: Crankshaft censor/Cam Sensor etc

For you're problem I would say its Spark(Dizzy/Coil) or the fuel pump/relay

Xavier1

replace the distributor, make sure to get an oem one as some of the after market distributors don't allow for full timing adjustment. you could also try taking off the cap and checking the screw that holds in the rotor. the distributor on my friends D-series had a problem with the screw coming loose and causing the rotor to just move around and not send current to the wires. it's a long shot but give it a try, some times the littlest of things can cause big problems.
yeah i checked the rotor and everything seems fine.
so about replacing the distributor, could i just go to a junkyard or something and pull a one out of a honda or acura? or do i have to spend $150+ on a new one? thanks for the help guys!

edit: also could the main relay possibly be the problem?

Last edited:

Mugen

Hi My Name Is Asimo
well I drove around on a bad distriby for over a year if it's cold it won't start, when it's warm it won't start LOL I let it cool down if I drove it for awhile then it would kick back on. don't go to a junk! the distriby gets coroded from just sitting around, atleast with the weather on the east coast. get a brand new one if possible it's a critical component treat your teggy good .