Ignition problems

Rayda9

OK! So I heard whenever a car backfires, it's the ignition. So! I changed the spark plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor.. Still backfires.. Could it be a weak/dying igition coil or igniter? Anything else I should check?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Many things can cause a backfire not just ignition. Fuel, cam timing etc.
Under what conditions does the backfire occur?
Any other issues with the engine?

Dtackett

Yeah definitely need more info on this. Could be buildup in your cat could be air furl mixture could be timing problems could be a lot of things lol the more info you give us the better.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
one of the biggest culprits for backfire acn be a fouled o2 sensor.

do you notice things like car has trouble starting when it is at operating temps?

Timing could be suspect as well... but if it was all fine and dandy, then started doing this out of the blue... I'd bet dimes to dollars you need a new o2 sensor. the sensor starts reading A/F mixture data at 300 degrees so you may notice the issue is worse at operating temps.

Rayda9

Normally it backfires under normal driving conditions, it'll backfire once in a while but no CEL and it's a new cat I got on. Though that's about it, no real abnormalities with the engine. Timing, not too sure cuz I havent fooled with the timing at all. And it might be the original o2 sensor in the car.. Not really too sure since i'm not the original owner. But it backfires more when it's fully warmed up.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
if it happens or is worse when warmed up it is definitely your o2 sensor.... It is directly responsible for relating air fuel info to the ECU under normal operating temps. o2 sensor starts reading when the manifold reaches approximately 300 deg F which is why the issue will exacerbate itself more when the car has been running.

a fould o2 can also give the impression one's timing is off, infrequent overheating, backfiring and a myriad of other issues.

You can find a Denso Replacement for around 25 bucks, and it is a pretty simple thing to swap out... Just do not forget to use antiseize compound when you replace it :)

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
In the meantime, you could just disconnect the O2 sensor and the car will run on open-loop if the problem is really that bad. Like said above, if it gets worse when warm, that is a strong indication of possible O2 sensor failure. If you can, get someone with a DSO to see if it is working properly, a DMM with a High/Low setting may work as well. Good Luck! Let us know what the problem was when fixed.
- Aaron

Rayda9

Ok, I have yet to do anything, but if it is the ignition I got a brand new ignitor, ignition coil dizzy cap, rotor and plug wires.. All spares I had that my boss let me have so I paid nothing for those parts. I may put all those in and see if it works, but if not then i'll try the O2 sensor.

dlo253

If it was your igniter, chances are your car wouldn't start. And that would probly throw a code. Things are def pointing to your o2 sensor.