Improving lower rpm power?

HighHopes

tegs are not known for their lower rpm power. how would u go about improving that problem if it is possible. i appreciate any wisdom anyone can share on the subject.

BoostedITR41

well all motor there isn;t much you can do without sacrificing top end power. a small/medium sized turbo will work wonders. when I dynoed 2 years ago for a baseline pull I made 192wtq with a greddy 18G on low boost

DownShift96GSR

Your pretty SOL with tourque in a HONDA motor. HONDA's are known as TOURQELESS WONDERS. From what some of the PLATINUM HONDA techs that I know say is that if you put an intake and a header on but leave factory exhaust, that boosts up the tourque. I don't know cuz I bought my exhaust with my intake. There's only about 100 HONDA PLATINUM TECHS in the US. They know their shit. Other than that, nitrous or supercharger. Oh and I think the underdrive pulley ands tourque too but I'm not sure.

hyper98gsr

BoostedITR41 said:
well all motor there isn;t much you can do without sacrificing top end power.
it cant be put any better than that.

HighHopes

ehh...i was hoping to go n/a, but second best is a supercharger(not a big fan of turbos though quite intimidating). ill try to save upp for a supercharger any advice on where i should get it from.

ca86108

aye downshift is what u said true... cuz i got just intake and headers, and no exhaust.... so should i not even buy an exhaust then?

Baldy201

Eviloliv3 said:
bigger displacement is your only option, other that forced induction
He speaks the truth.

Larry at ENDYN said:
At less than WOT and peak power rpm, the diameter of the tubing
should change in ID. Just as with intake ports (unless we're just
running off port volume), cross sectional area should be only sufficient to supply the flow rate necessary to feed the engine.

High velocities, that don't incur pumping losses are the rule.

The exhaust system is much the same. Just changing back pressure is a bogus way of trying to create the "ideal" pressure in the system. The exhaust system should work like a correctly conceived header. It should extract the exhaust from the header, to minimize pumping pressures.

The only way to create a system that will serve as an extractor is to properly size the tubing to allow the flow velocity to create a sort of "vacuum" behind it.

Just as with headers, creating a system that will provide the best of all worlds at all throttle positions and rpm ranges is impossible. It's all going to be a trade-off. You can tune for the throttle positions and rpm ranges where you desire the greatest performance, but you'll sacrifice performance at the other end of the rpm range.

Building a system to divert the flow into a smaller system can help
bolster lower rpm power, just as with today dual runner intake
manifolds, but you'll never find a dual runner intake on any engine that's targeting the greatest performance potential possible. I should also add that such systems are inefficient from a standpoint of weight and surface area.

HighHopes

sorry baldy but as of this stage in my car terminology experience i am a mere mortal. if u or another could help explain(translate) his last quote it would be of great help.

i understand that if u increase the cc you will produce more power. and im thinking that the quote is saying that what DownShift96GSR's statement that a stock exhaust would not be optimal. now i could be wrong.

another question for u genius's: would improvig the static cr have the same effect as improving the dynamic cr or would it create a differnent gain?

Baldy201

Basicly what the quote says is that the exhaust system is supposed to help with the breathing of the engine. At the end of the artical it does say that a small diameter exhaust system can improve low end efficiency while sacrificing top end power. The better the exhaust system is the better your engine can breath. Hytec header and exhaust has been shown to give about 2 psi of boost just by scavenging at cam overlap.

Rasing static compression will raise overall torque, including low end. Rasing static compression will raise dynamic compression. There are other ways of raising dynamic compression than increasing static compression. The closer the Intake valve closes to BDC (bottom dead center) you raise the Dynamic compression. Although having the Intake valve close at BDC is not always a good thing. At high RPM the when the piston moves at a very fast rate. When the piston goes down at a high rate of speed it creates a vacuum behind it. The air accelerates into the cylinder behind it. When the piston reaches BDC the air is still flowing into the cylinder. That is why if you look at after market cams the ABDC is higher than stock, meaning that the cams are ment for higher RPM.

DownShift96GSR

ca86108 said:
aye downshift is what u said true... cuz i got just intake and headers, and no exhaust.... so should i not even buy an exhaust then?
I'm not saying don't buy one, what I think those techs were telling me is that you shouldn't waste your money so soon on an exhaust. Wait till you have more mods and what not. Or wait till you got boost.

BoostedITR41

find me a supercharger that made as much torque as I did on a baseline dyno pull.....my 18g makes boost at 1500rpm and full boost by 2500