in theory......

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Now by no means am I doing this, but, what if,

Just happened to come across a b18c block, I have an ls head laying around, I'm already planning on building a bad ass b18a1, but it's rather expensive to build the high compression ls block, I was wondering if doing the unspeakable would work, gsr block + built ls head.....I'm not planning on doing this, just asking if it would be a cheap way to cut a corner

Cripton805

It would be better to use a B18A block...

Why even cut a corner. Just get a B18C head and it will give you much more power out of a complete B18C.

The money to buy a decent set of cams for the LS head wouldn't give you the gain of a stock GSR head and would cost around the same...

hgocasca

level 77 troll
There is a thread titled light performance increase, it'll explain why that wouldn't work for me, and why I raised the question on this :) thanks for the attempt though bro

Cripton805

There is a thread titled light performance increase, it'll explain why that wouldn't work for me, and why I raised the question on this :) thanks for the attempt though bro
I answered your question.
You can, but it's pointless.

You said you wouldn't be doing it, but say what if?
I believe the LS bottom is what give the LS torque.

So you would be making an LS non-vtec have even less torque.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
well if you read that thread it'll explain everything, but i'll just explain it now, i'm going for nonvtec, high compression, all motor, so i figured it would cut the cost of having to build the ls block since the gsr block already has high compression and can rev high, so i'd in theory just need to build the head.....everyone up to speed? cool....so, will this fulfil my needs? yes or no?

jason, dylan....please rescue this thread, you both know what i'm getting at...since you helped me last time when i was asking about the all motor thing....less than a week ago, i'm not knocking anyone, but those two know exactly what i am getting at, if anyone else gets what i'm saying please chime in :)

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I have read the thread on Honda-Tech (maybe its you asking the same question on there) and everyone agrees its a waste of time and money to make no power. Its not being original, its being dumb. Its no more expensive to build a LS block for high compression then it is to build a GSR for high compress, so wherever you got that info from you should prob just stop listening to them.

Not trying to be a dick, just think its pointless to spend the money on something that in the end you'll be dissapointed with. Sell the GSR block, buy a LS block for half the price, have money left over to put towards high compression pistons and call it a day my man.

Why don't we take a look at some people that have done this exact same setup and see what they had to say

1.: "LS head with a GSR block is a really good idea if you want to shoot rocker arms at people! lol ... It will be a good combo as long as you don't plan on revving to 9000rpm. I had a built crower head with ferrea valves and i stripped the rocker arm adjusting nut off when it over-revved to 9600. I'm sure there were other factors such as the speed at which it reached that rpm but still. My heavily built head and block only made power to about 8400rpm ... the gsr bottom end isn't really gonna change that. You're limitted by the LS head's flow."

2. "i have a friend with 2 gsr's. one with the b17 the other is 94 up. i beat his b17. (by little his bumper was beside me. may not have been running right.) but of course not the DC. i beat lots of ls's with it. so i took it that it was better than ls by far"- Wow he beat a 16 powered integra (b17 is essentially a b16) and a LS, impressive...

3. Yeah, in theory it would be a better setup, because the GSR block is better etc...but look at the cost of building up an LS head with all the higher-rev components (valves, springs, retainers, cams, pnp...) and you will have spent 2X or 3X the cost of a stock GSR or B16 head and make similar power on the same bottom end.

Now back to the topic of High Compression, heres something to chew on

B18A/B head+GSR Block & pistons=9.4:1
B18A/B head+GSR Pistons in LS Block=10:1

So you still think its gonna be cheaper to build a high compression GSR non vtec?

Last edited:

hgocasca

level 77 troll
That's what I was getting at, but no I've never been a part of or posted on another forum about this question. My theory was good, but clearly holds no water in reality, thank you for putting that to rest :)

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
No one said it couldn't be done, everyone just says whats the fucking point lol. Your gonna dump tons of money into this and for what? To be different? I guess if thats what your aiming for then more power to ya, but if power is something your after, then your wasting time, money and effort. Your fully built LS head will still not flow as many CFM as a stock B16 or GSR head, not to mention your limited on camshaft selection and your about 30hp behind from the get go due to not having vtec. All I can say is if you do this, enjoy being beat on by stock GSR's lol

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Well thank you for your opinion, please note that I won't be wasting any money, cuz I already have the block and it already has the right internals, simple block swap, just wanted to see if it would physically work, it does, I'm happy, no loss :)

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
You swapping in an LS essentially, you do know this right? Do you think your gonna meke some super sweet discovery that hasn't already been tried and tested? What headstuds are you going to run? You need an LS/Vtec conversion still and have to modify that to work, so yes you will be spending extra money that you have not even thought about yet....not my car so whatever.

What ecu are you going to use to run this abomination of a setup properly?

Last edited: