Installing After Market Fuel Level Gauge, Help!

bvans

DC5-ED9
Hey guys, I'm new here..
This is my first post, I just sold my '74 Camaro, bought a '95 Integra LS with a B18C1

Loving the car so far, and she's my first stick shift car so learning to drive it has been fun..

However - my fuel level gauge doesn't work. One of the previous owner swapped the dash with a KPH speedometer and all that, and didn't hook up the fuel gauge correctly, or not at all. I'm not sure. It's always on empty.

I want to install an aftermarket fuel level gauge, however I'm not great with wires and all that, and I'm not sure WHICH fuel level gauge would be appropriate for my integra.
Help a n00b out?:lol:

Last edited:

grayghost

IUnfortunately you don't know whether the problem is the sensor/sender unit in the gas tank, the wiring or the fuel guage in the dash cluster. I would go to a salvage yard and get a MPH dash cluster and start from there.

mjones73

Look for a GSR cluster if you can find a deal on it, it'll have the correct red line on the tach.

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
pics of camaro please......i have a 73

bvans

DC5-ED9
what I'm looking to do is just get a fuel level gauge and mount it somewhere above the dash.. I'm not worried about the current fuel gauge in the dash, I heard it's a pain to get to
I just wanna wire up a gauge, hide the wires, and mount it. if it doesn't work, then I'll replace the sender unit..

8urcivic - i just posted an album of both my integra and my old camaro.. heres the camaro http://www.clubintegra.com/board/album.php?albumid=212

mjones73

It literally takes 5 screws, 2 plugs and about 5 minutes to remove the cluster out of the dashboard.

bvans

DC5-ED9
wow, really? everyone (everyone as in people at autozone, kragens...) says it takes forever and it's a hassle.. Could you or someone else post a quick instructional video? just showing what screws, which cables to disconnect.. or if you could even draw something up i'd appreciate it.
the person i bought it from just told me the seatbelt light is always on, because its showing the gas tank reading? when it gets dimmer, fuel level is going lower.. what the ?? should i disconnect whats supposed to be the seatbelt light and put that on the fuel gauge? haha, he said there was a problem connecting the fuel level wire to the new cluster, is there an adapter of some sort I need?

bvans

DC5-ED9
sweet, thanks bro!
now once I'm at this step, http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad17/klutch919/Integra/Integra020.jpg
what should I be looking for when it comes to the fuel gauge?
and should I disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before messing with anything?
im kinda worried to disconnect the battery, I have a python alarm on my integra and i've heard some crap stories of people not being able to hook the battery back up without the alarm going off non stop o_0

myxintegra

Extreme Music Addict
wow, really? everyone (everyone as in people at autozone, kragens...) says it takes forever and it's a hassle.. Could you or someone else post a quick instructional video? just showing what screws, which cables to disconnect.. or if you could even draw something up i'd appreciate it.
the person i bought it from just told me the seatbelt light is always on, because its showing the gas tank reading? when it gets dimmer, fuel level is going lower.. what the ?? should i disconnect whats supposed to be the seatbelt light and put that on the fuel gauge? haha, he said there was a problem connecting the fuel level wire to the new cluster, is there an adapter of some sort I need?
Don't listen to those people at the auto parts stores... they f*cked me over before telling me to use gorilla glue to put on my aftermarket Acura emblem and it ended up dripping down my bumper. it was an epic fail.

X2 to everyone else who said this... buy a cluster gauge from a junk yard and just replace it. pretty simple and easy. One of the easy installs or replacements. Good luck! Hope to see some pics of your teggy soon.

bvans

DC5-ED9
will changing from kph to mph cause any problems when swapping the cluster?
the current cluster reads in kph..

bvans

DC5-ED9
hey guys, still have the same question about going from kph to mph.. any answers?
here's pictures of the cluster in integra right now, with the fuel level gauge that doesnt work.