Installing new front speakers-leaving stock tweeters Q?

Cman46290

Ok, so i have a question...

i want to go ahead and replace both frontspeakers... and leave the stock tweeters alone...

When i pulled out the front speakers... i noticed right away that there is a connector to the speaker... with 4 wires going to it....

My question is... if i cut the wire connector off.... and put a new speaker in... which of the 4 wires do i connect to the speaker... and what do i do with the other 2 wires? are they for the tweeter? Will my tweeter still work??

Thanks all... and sorry if this has been answered before... i wasnt having luck searching....

-Corey

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
i would like to start my comment by saying there is absolutely no factual proof of what im saying and im in no way responsible... :D

buuut, id like to think that the tweeter wires would not go through the speaker...cause then the tweeter would be getting the whole band of frequencies...which would defeat its purpose...i dont know why there is 4 back there besides that though...maybe those do go to a crossover for the tweeter?

Cman46290

i would like to start my comment by saying there is absolutely no factual proof of what im saying and im in no way responsible... :D

buuut, id like to think that the tweeter wires would not go through the speaker...cause then the tweeter would be getting the whole band of frequencies...which would defeat its purpose...i dont know why there is 4 back there besides that though...maybe those do go to a crossover for the tweeter?
See thats what i tho0ught too... and thats why i didnt mess with the speakers in the front yet..... i didnt wanna cut the 4 wire connector off then be screwed.... and obviously i for sure want the tweeters to work with my new speakers....

Anyone else?

killjoy

the tweeter does in fact receive it's signal through the same wire as the mid - it has a built on crossover to cut out bass frequencies. If you replaced your mids with coaxials, then I'd leave your stock tweets disconnected or you'll throw your imaging off a bit (most people won't notice this, you'll more see it as "too much highs")

that said, do what you'd like. Every set of speakers I replace with coaxials I leave the stock tweets disconnected if its right there and quick

Last edited:

Cman46290

So which 2 wires on the stock 4 wire connector do i connect to the new speaker? And which 2 do i leave unplugged?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
i thought there are only 2 wires attached behind the speaker?

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
When I replaced my front set, I left my tweeters connected, IMO there is always a certain clarity that only tweeters can provide regardless of how good the coaxial is.

If you really want to cut out the tweeter, use a digital multimeter to test for conductivity between the tweeter location and the door speaker location. Then you'll know which are which. or just unplug the tweeter and carry the extra 4 ounces of weight around

Be sure to identify polarity while you have your meter out.

Cman46290

I dont want to cut out my tweeters... i want to keep them in....

that is my dilemma.... how do i wire the new front speakers so the tweeter still works?

My confusion is why or how to wire the 4 wires going to the stock door speaker.... if i cut the connector off... i dont know where or what to do with the 4 wires for both my speaker and tweeter to still work.

killjoy

When I replaced my front set, I left my tweeters connected, IMO there is always a certain clarity that only tweeters can provide regardless of how good the coaxial is.
I could get into how you'll be throwing your imaging off, but most people can't tell (let alone know what that means) and people are gonna do what they want anyways.

OP, there's two wires going to each terminal on the stock speaker, 2 pos, and 2 negs. you need to duplicate what the stock speaker was seeing, essentially. cut the connector off, get some female spades and put the 2 going to the pos terminal in one spade, and connect to the pos terminal on the speaker. Do the same for the neg terminal. You're wiring the speakers in parallel - the signal needs to come from the same source (the twin lead wire coming into the door), and thats the easiest way.

Cman46290

I could get into how you'll be throwing your imaging off, but most people can't tell (let alone know what that means) and people are gonna do what they want anyways.

OP, there's two wires going to each terminal on the stock speaker, 2 pos, and 2 negs. you need to duplicate what the stock speaker was seeing, essentially. cut the connector off, get some female spades and put the 2 going to the pos terminal in one spade, and connect to the pos terminal on the speaker. Do the same for the neg terminal. You're wiring the speakers in parallel - the signal needs to come from the same source (the twin lead wire coming into the door), and thats the easiest way.
Thanks... ill see what i can do~

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Everyone is over-complicating this.

Just crimp together the wires that are the same color (What KillJoy said). That is exactly what is happening inside the oem plug.

Don't use spades because they will just fall off. Your speakers should have came with their own wires. If not; even better. Just buy the adapters and it's plug n play.

Cman46290

Everyone is over-complicating this.

Just crimp together the wires that are the same color (What KillJoy said). That is exactly what is happening inside the oem plug.

Don't use spades because they will just fall off. Your speakers should have came with their own wires. If not; even better. Just buy the adapters and it's plug n play.
Awesome... thanks for actually answering the question ~ :)

i think everyone else was confused as to what i was actually wanting to know...heh

So the GSR's have an adapter that you can buy.... to plug right into the stock connector? and it will allow the tweeter and speaker to both have power?

Thanks for the info~