Installing Shift Boot

ISMELLBACON!

ISmellBacon!
Hey, im new to the site, and after searching i couldnt find anything about installing shift boots. Just bought a red stitched JDM shift boot w/ bracket for my 2000 GSR. I was wondering if theres any secret to removing the center console or if its common sense. Thanks.

If you have any mechanical aptitude, this shouldn't take more than 20 minutes from start to finish...that's if you take time out fro a sandwich in the middle of the install.

mirrorimg

use a thin knife to pry the screw cover off
??????????? What Jim?

I wouldnt do that. Its screwed in on one side, and has tabs that hold it in place on the other.

1. Take the armrest out. There are 2 screws in the rear seating area on the sides,and 2 under the cover in the ebrake handle depression.
2. Remove the center console. You already removed 2 screws, there are 2 more where your knees would be if you were sitting in the seats.
3. Slide the center console out, you will need to take your shifter knob off to get it all the way out.
4. Flip it over, remove 2 screws holding the bracket in.
5. install new shifter boot.
6. Re-assemble the CC and armrest.

heykosal

Angkorian
??????????? What Jim?
He was joking haha.

Anyways, to the OP. Just look around the armrest/center console. Remove any clips or screws that you think are holding it in place..its common sense.
These are one of those things you just do without asking for help because it's simple and you'll learn. The first time I took my center console out it took me about 10 minutes. Now it'll take me like two.

Good luck.

Tip: Secure a zip-tie on the shifter around where you want the new shift boot to sit, it'll hold it in place so it won't sag down:D

Slide the shift knob down into the shift boot until the leather comes up over the top of the knob. This will take some effort since the shift knob is larger at the top and the boot will need to stretch over the knob. Make sure you keep the back of the shift knob symmetrical with the stitched seam in the shifter boot.