intake question (sorry)

96GSRteg

Tyler
First off, I feel retarded for asking this question. but its major disappoint. I got the carbon kevlar intake from password jdm and installed everything properly (pretty straightforward). and when i take it down the freeway to test everything out, its almost as quiet as stock.

all i hear from other people is how loud it is! even at redline it sounds like stock. what gives?

and i realize the breather tube is missing in the picture, i just got a little camera happy.

Squigget

i have the same intake just not kevlar.. but i have a jay's racing filter and its sounds beastly.. it might just be the filter

Squigget

I bought the car with the intake on there... so i wouldn't know how it sounded before. But i can really hear it, especially in the morning when the engine is cold

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I dont think that intake even lets you put a resonator on it..

do you have an exhaust on your car that's a bit louder? at full throttle any short ram intake should be screaming... lol I had a 20 dollar one on my civic and that thing was LOUD

ben h

Banned
u can only take in as much as u can push out
so im guessing its not gunna suck in any extra air over stock if that air cant get out

mirrorimg

All of the plumbing from the stock intake really shouldnt matter. Whether any air comes up from there or not wont affect the airflow to the filter.

The filter itself may be a bit restrictive and just be deadening out the sound. But there's a catch to that, less restrictive filters let more particles past, more restrictive filter will capture more dust/dirt. You could take the filter off, turn the car on, and rev it to see if there is a change in sound without the filter. That may help you determine if the filter could be a potential reason as to why it isnt louder.

A couple of question for you, some of which may sound a bit... dumb.
-Do you have any sound deadening under the hood? Such as a mat that attaches to the hood?
-Do you have more sound deadening on the firewall? FatMat, Dynomat, etc?
-Are you trying to gauge the sound from the intake with the windows rolled up?

u can only take in as much as u can push out
so im guessing its not gunna suck in any extra air over stock if that air cant get out
The OEM intake is restrictive itself. Yes, the small diameter exhaust is not helping, but an aftermarket intake will be louder, regardless of the exhaust.

Think of it like this. (just an example)

The engine can move 100x of air.
The stock intake can pull in 60x of air
The stock exhaust can handle 80x of air.

If you open up the intake, you end up with 120x of air coming in (but the engine is only capable of pulling in 100x, where as the exhaust can push out 80x). Its capacity for this example is reduced to 80x, equal to that of the exhaust. The intake isnt working at full capacity, but its still bringing in more air than stock.

Last edited: