Integra 88 Smoke

408Benny

I just bought an 88 integra and it throws out white smoke from the exhaust. Ive driven behind it while i had someone else drove it and noticed when it comes into a stop and i see it go to first gear alot of smoke comes out. I've also noticed that the temperature goes all the way up and a few times it went back to normal randomaly. When i bought it the guy told me they did some repairs to it and replace the head gasket and thermostat. My dad thinks it that the radiator might be clogged so he put his finger into coolant and pulled out little pieces of debree. Might dad thinks that they might have put some type of powder into the radiator for leaks. Please help me out and thanks.

mirrorimg

For the temperature issue: If the needle climbs consistently and does not jump around like it's going haywire, you're overheating. You should flush your cooling system and refill it, possible replace the radiator if it is leaking/has a bunch of crap in it.

If the gauge is jumping around (unnaturally) then it may be a bad wire.

Either way, I suggest hooking up a real gauge with numbers to get an accurate reading of the temperature. That way you will know for sure.

As for the smoke... It could be coolant, or oil. White= coolant, Bluish white = oil. If its coolant, (considering you mentioned the previous owner replaced the HG), either he did it incorrectly, or the block/head was warped and he didnt get it machined so it would mate properly. Thats bad, and if you spring a good leak into the cylinder, you will bend some valves or connecting rods (Water doesn't compress like air). Either way, you need to get some one who is familiar with motors to look into your situation.

408Benny

When the car is at idol the temperature starts raising but when it's running and moving it somestimes goes back to normal temperature. Not sure what that problem is. Could it actually be the radiator

staticpage

With my experience and hearing only what you have told. I would say that the previous mechanic improperly installed the head gasket. Random overheating while driving is an issue, however you did not specify when it overheats. Overheating while parked or at slow speed is probably a fan issue. White smoke is coolant getting in to the combustion chamber, the most likely place for a leak like that is the HG. Repairing a head gasket is not a simple replacement. To do one right it takes some know how, some special tools, and the will to follow and read the service manual. Most shade tree mechanics don’t fall in to any of these categories. Add the fact that most aftermarket head gaskets (Felpro ect.) are junk and you have a HG job that won’t last long.
The stuff that is in your cars cooling system is normal, and a result of once again junk products. Most aftermarket coolants are made on the cheap, they contain tap water. Tap water contains lime and calcium. Over the years this lime and calcium attacks and solidifies on the aluminum and in this case copper radiator ( I think most 1st gens have copper rads). Google “cooling system flush vinegar” if you want to clean your cars cooling system research the vinegar flushes.
As for the overheating let it run parked and watch the gauge. The fans should come on before the gauge reads ¾ to red. If they don’t its a fan problem. if it over heats with the fans on then I would try a vinegar flush. Oh, and follow the service manual so you get all the bubbles out.
One last word of advice most additives (leak stop) don’t work. Iv never seen any work. And if you do replace the HG follow everything the service manual says. And during the install don’t let any coolant mix with oil.

408Benny

Ok so i flushed out the coolant system and filled it back up with water. Since i did that i haven't noticed anymore smoke coming from the exhaust. So right now my question is why my gauge is almost touching max heat and my fans won't turn on. Can anyone tell me how to fix the fan? @Above thx for the help and hopefully help me with this problem.

mirrorimg

Could be the fan relay in the engine compartment fuse box. Thats what my issue was. Some other people may mention the fan switch, but I cannot say I know where that is located (if its even different from the relay)

You do not want the car getting that hot. Its not like the movies where the car overheats, with smoke/steam pouring from the hood, a little coolant and its good to go.

You have an aluminum block, and aluminum head. When it reaches those temperatures, it warps. I would never let my car exceed 3/4 of the way to red. The fans should come on between 1/2 and 2/3.

408Benny

Hey mirrorimg im gonna go try out what you said tommorow. Thanks for the help talk to you soon.

mirrorimg

Good luck. I dont typically linger around on the weekends. Im most active (like most members on here) during the week. Things really get quiet on the weekends.

89 LS Roller

C-Town Cruisin
mine was kinda doing the same thing....as far as the over heating problem mine was doing the same thing i just unplugged the relay and plugged it back in and it woke the fan up thats my suggestion.....if coolant(or water) leaks i would take a look at the water pump...i changed mine and have no more leaks now.....good luck with fixing everything