integra caught on fire?!

mugen_kid

ok so c.i let me explain what happened i need your guys advice so i can make a case against a local garage.

my car has had a problem of not starting so today i took it to a shop when it was acting up, to have them look at it. they told me it was the ignition module and it was going to be X amount of dollars to fix so i agreed. i watched them replace the ignition module inside my distributor and my car started up on the first try. so far everything is good and i drive away satisfied. the night goes on and my car is starting up just fine. i get home and let my dad use my car.. not too much later he calls me and said hes on the side of the road getting my car towed home because he was driving on the freeway and lost power and pulled over to the side of the road.. as he was pulling over he noticed the muffler had caught fire and melted my bumper(pretty badly). c.h.p pulled over to lend a hand and extinguish the flames. when my dad tried to start my car it would not start but as soon as he got it off the tow truck i jumped in and started it.. but i noticed the rpm gauge spiked to about 5000 rpm but there was not an increase in engine rpm. so i just said f*ck it and went inside. keep in mind my car has never ever had a history of catching on fire..

now i want to know if my exhaust catching on fire has anything to do with the mechanics at my local shop removing my distributor so i can make them pay for a new bumper, exhaust, etc.

thanks for your input if you have any questions just ask away

phatintegra

Banned
The first thing I would do is try to figure out why the fire started. By looking at any trace of burned marking.

This has happen on my old 89 Accord that there was a small oil drip leak onto the exhaust from the oil pan gasket. I was driving and that what ignited it but the fire shot up to the engine bay instead the rear of the car. .

Last edited:

uso_Dc

highly doubt the car caught on fire due to the replacement of an ignition module, but as far as the car not turning on and all of a sudden working, yea that can be because of the workmanship of the shop.

mirrorimg

If they removed the distributor completely, and didnt re-install it in the position it was in, the timing would be advanced/retarded. That may have caused the blow by which shot flames out of your exhaust?