integra stalls under load

domokun

94 Acura Integra B18b1/gsr head
The battery light came on and diagnosed the alternator being the issue. Replaced the alternator and when adding electrical loads makes the idle drop to the point of nearly stalling. Idles around 1K RPM, turning headlights on ~900, high beams ~800, turning on the A/C -400 rpm. Raising the RPM to 1200 then letting off stalls the engine. All of this is done in neutral. Engine idling, battery voltage is 14.3 while adding loads reduces the voltage at the battery. raising the RPM (2k) with all loads battery voltage is 12.6. Those battery voltage numbers are off the top of my head but will give accurate numbers in soon.
Thanks in advance

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Clean your Iacv.

That's what controls your idle under load. It's suppose to maintain near constant idle at all times when at operating temp.

Your idle should never drop below what base idle is set it.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
turning headlights on ~900, high beams ~800, turning on the A/C -400 rpm.
All of that is normal except for the AC. Your AC compressor may be starting to go bad as its introducing that much load.

Try calibrating the idle rpm by unplugging the IACV with the engine running and then adjusting the idle set screw on the throttle body so the RPM is around 750~800 rpm. Then plug the IACV back in. Use that time to also set your distributor timing with a timing light.

And also clean the IACV with brake cleaner as already suggested.

domokun

I unplugged the idle air control calve with the engine idling, no loads, and no change. I'll try cleaning the valve tomorrow (8/4/14) and update this post.