Intercooler without turbo?

KingTeg16

So I want to invest in a nice intercooler kit for the HP gain and cooling the engine down but dont have turbo. Can I still get an intercooler or is it necessary to have turbo first?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
uhh you run a intercooler FOR turbo.. you got learning to do. whoever you learned that from is a moron cuz i cant imagine you read that anywhere informative

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
You technically could run an intercool to cool down the air, but you are then restricting the air that goes into your engine a lot more. The best thing to do if you do not want a turbo, is get a cold air intake or an ice-box if you're serious. You will lose more then you will gain with a turbo-less intercooler setup. You will only see the loss on paper though. No matter what kind of intake system you have, you won't feel the difference while driving. If you drive your car during a hot day, then drive it during a colder night, that will be more of a power increase then spending tons of money on an intake system.

Also, if you get an intercooler and don't have a turbo, you're just going to be made fun of and be called a ricer to whoever sees your car. I'm not trying to be a jerk but it's just reality.

94RS

No fucks given.
Oh god.... This has been done before by Arospeed and then knocked off dozens of times. People who buy them get laughed at.

DON'T RUN AN INTERFOOLER.

Last edited:

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
That is an interfooler. You can run a legit intercooler on a non-turbo setup. You'll just run one end to your intake manifold and the other to a filter. Intercoolers are just an extension of your intake after-all. It's really stupid and a huge waste of time but it's still possible.

Tegz

EV1L EMPIRE

So you want a little something like that eh? :wstupid:

You can't handle the POWAH it will give you! :twisted:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Turbos pressurize the air. Pressurizing air causes it to heat up. An intercooler helps to cool it back down to normal outside temperature so the engine doesn't ping. If you don't have a turbo, there is nothing to be gained here. In fact, the intercooler will only be a huge restriction on your intake.

When people speak of "cold air" intakes, they often don't realize that "cold" actually means outside ambient temperature. If you have a CAI, and it's 80 degrees outside, the most you can hope for is 80 degree intake air temperature.

Now try to recall if you've ever noticed an increase in horsepower from a cold day to a hot one. Not likely. "Cold air" is blown WAY out of proportion. The reason a CAI makes more power ISN'T BECAUSE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE AIR. It's because the length and diameter has been tuned properly. A short ram shifts the power band up beyond your rev limiter. The longer the pipe, the more usable the power becomes. The same is true of your exhaust pipe, but that's another topic.

Cold air intakes should be called "long intakes". Don't concern yourself so much with the temperature of your intake air.

xX6IXXx

So I want to invest in a nice intercooler kit for the HP gain and cooling the engine down but dont have turbo. Can I still get an intercooler or is it necessary to have turbo first?
that won't help you gain HP, you'd have a better chance to get a little more umph and responsiveness by adjusting any slack out of your throttle cable.

KingTeg16

Alright thanks for the help. I just thought it helped cool the engine down but I guess without turbo its pointless. I already have an AEM cold air intake and it definitley helped. My next big project is an all new radiator system so I will be looking into that.