interior electrical help

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Hey CI, my interior wiring is a mess..mainly near the center console. I got a bunch of hanging wiring due to theft and i need help know what some of the wires are. I need to call upon the CI electrical geniuses for help.

what is the hanging wires on the left? totally stumped... but the wires on the right goes to the radio..oh and my clock doesn't work too...

heres a close up..

radio wires

so can anyone help me with my wiring?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Looks like the wire remains from an alarm system.
The wires you see with little silver dots on them are stock wires, those solid color wires like the yellow, red, black and silver don't look factory.

I think in the last blurry pic, those are the oem radio and oem speaker wires. Looks like they cut off the factory radio harness to hardwire in a new radio. Not the easiest way to hook up a new radio, but you don't have to buy a harness (like from Metra) when you do it that way. It's not worth the PITA if you ask me, they should have just spent the $15 on a Metra harness and some butt connectors from Radio Shack.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
okay, well i hope the ones on the left arent important. :/ the car still runs and everything.. but it looks very important.. and i want to make sure nothing happens down the road..

Ulivolcom

Yea they mostly look like the radio wires, if the car runs and starts with no prob then u have nothing major wrong..

sylvaner01

The thick bunch of wires would be for your radio, thick black wire being ground, thick yellow is 12v.. ahh if you give me a day or so I can get out my headunit and tell you every wire and every speaker..

you will find 8 wires similar in colour, blue/blue+white black/black.white brown/brown.white these will most likeley be speaker wires which you can find simply by either connecting a 12v battery to the two matching wires and hearing for the "click" the speaker will make when the connection is made.

the remaining wires to the radio harness you can find out pretty simply.. one will be your motor for your antenna which you can check by using the 12v battery trick and the other wire will be the wire which triggers the radio to switch on when the ignition is turned on. you can find out which wire this is by using a multimeter and connecting your positive to the wires you have remaining and the negative to the chassis of the car. When you have a good connection simply switch the ignition on and you will either get a reading of 0v on your multimeter or 12v.. if you get 12v try switching the ignition off.. if it goes back to 0 you know this is your accessory wire.

dude this sounds confusing as hell and the heap of wiring can be daunting.. but its really not that hard to find out what wire does what.. hope i helped a little

heres a pic of a typical head unit wiring
http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/151417.gif

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
THANK YOU for your help, you are an electrical genius!. i really appreciate it. So all of those wires, the ones on the right and the ones on the left (all taped together) all go to the radio?

sylvaner01

THANK YOU for your help, you are an electrical genius!. i really appreciate it. So all of those wires, the ones on the right and the ones on the left (all taped together) all go to the radio?
pretty sure buddy, from memory there are 8 for speakers (if your car has 4 speakers), 1 thick yellow wire for positive, 1 thick black wire for negative (not being racist), 1 red (I think) and 1 blue (i think)
pretty sure there are 12 or 13 wires to the stereo harness

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
okay thank you :D oh and is there a way to like, get a completely new wiring harness. It looks so terrible that i dont want to deal with all of that..

sylvaner01

I just ran new wires to every speaker, took about 1 hour.. that takes car of 8 of your wires.. I would leave the power wires and stuff alone though..
i take it all your wires are really brittle and cheap looking..

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
well i want to get a new harness cuz i dont want to deal with the shitty wiring. when i can just plug and play, you know what i mean?

sylvaner01

yeah man, might take a bit to find it but its better then soldering and rewiring if your new to that stuff

TheSkygun

your looking for a wire harness or stock stereo, sorry bit tired and not following it along all that well