Is it my transmission or what?

HK254

It seems as if I am having a little bit of trouble with my integra. When I push the gas my rpms hit around 6000 before I even get moving. It seems like I have no acceleration, any suggestions? I thought maybe it was fuel. I checked my fuel pump, lines, injectors, fuel rail, but every thing seems good. All I can think of now is the tranny. It's a 5 speed.

Cman46290

clutch seems to be slipping pretty badly.... time for a new clutch my friend... and most likely a flywheel (just to be safe)

HK254

How do I resurface the flywheel?

Cman46290

Dont need to replace the flywheel, but it needs to be resurfaced.
i was saying to replace it... because its cheap and less labor/work. Plus with how bad its slipping now.. he may be grinding into it pretty good.

So you have not a clue if its at a point to where it is even machineable... THUS... i recommended to simply replace it... for an extra $80 maybe... then he wouldnt have to waste the extra time taking it somewhere to machine it.... which is annoying.

i was weighing the options of time... and money... and amount of work. pay $30 to have it machined... and take the time out to find someone to do it... or just buy a new one and be done with it.

Up to you OP.

lee__xiong

i agree with CMAN, buy brand new! better safe than sorry! worse case you'd have to do everything all over again

Cman46290

Alright then new flywheel wheel it is
Plus you can order clutch kits that come with flywheels.... which makes them cheaper as a package deal.

I have seen Exedy clutch kits on ebay .... that come with a flywheel... for less than $200... so its not too bad anyways.... but good luck with the replacement... let us know how it goes.

mirrorimg

Wow...

You have to take it off anyways. You can machine it down to about 15lbs, as it its ~17.5lbs stock. You have a lot of room to work with. Theres no way a stock clutch disk will wear that beyond repair. So you are saying paying $40 for a resurface instead of $150-$200 for a new aftermarket flywheel, or more for a new OEM one. I have a good relationship with my machine shop, and wouldnt hesitate to get a quote. I do not see it as an inconvenience to save $50+ when something is completely serviceable.

I really dont see how its less labor. You have to pull the tranmission anyways. You have to take it off of the crank. Either you bring it to a shop for $40 or order one for 2-3 times more. No thanks.

OP, do what you want. Theres no reason to assume your flywheel is bad when your clutch goes out (and it may just be a throwout bearing).

Last edited:

Cman46290

Mirror tends to try to make posts more difficult...or contradict anything/everything said.

The labor we are speaking of... is getting the flywheel off.... then having to leave in the middle of working on the car...take it to a machine shop of some sort... which who knows where the closest one is to where he is located.... then have it machined... then drive back home...and start where you left off... and re-install it.

Some people may not have a spare driver at hand to drive them, to get it turned... or dont want to spend the extra hour or so to leave have it turned and come back...

OR YOU CAN SIMPLY:

Order an exedy clutch kit off of ebay that comes with a pressure plate, clutch disc, and NEW flywheel for LESS than $200 total.

idk where the hell you get $150-$200 for an aftermarket flywheel...:crazy:

Cuz i dont think he is trying to use the most top of the line stuff here... just reliable... and comperable to OEM.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Im not making things difficult. Maybe you dont have a spare car, but are you telling me you dont have any friends? Come on... Im sure a ride to a machine shop is not THAT hard.

Im not making things difficult, just informing the OP that there are other options than "order all new stuff, because I dont think you want to take a little extra time to use your OEM flywheel."

You must be talking about something like this, where as I am talking about something like a CC or fidanza flywheel.

Thats still $250 shipped, compared to $100 (I used a coupon with the ebay seller gripforce) to $120for a clutch, and $40 for resurfacing. So $90 to $110 by using your OEM flywheel... be my guest. Good luck finding one for less that $200. Thats a crackhead price.

Ive said enough though, and if the OP is interested in my opinion, I will chime in. I am not going to continue this pissing match that you are content on winning.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i have to agree with mirror.

i recently changed my clutch and had my flywheel resurfaced for 30 bucks at a local machine shop. went to the nearby wal-mart, came back an hour later and it was done. i had one of my friends take me to get the flywheel redone.

good thing i took a break because it reminded me to buy some tranny fluid as well. best thing, the friend that took me, he decided to stay and help with the tranny install too :thumbs up

i say, if the flywheel is good, save money and get it resurfaced.

or

if you want to do track, then by all means, buy the new lightened flywheel.