Is it true?

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Some guy I raced in my Jetta claims that RSX's come STOCK with a rev-limiter somewhat like launch control. I think that that's :bs: I think he has a Hondata K-Pro anbd he's denying it...

It's an 04 Type-S. BTW

Oh, and to top it off, i discovered the other day that he has a type-r K20 swapped into it; since he blew his first motor....

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
it might just be rev-protection...

it's not technically a 2-step, but it would work like that I guess. You'd just have to slam it into gear instead of keeping it in gear when you launch.

Unless he's pulling your leg

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The RSX Type S will only rev to like 5400-5500 rpm or so when the clutch is engaged. It's not launch control, it's Honda trying to make the car idiot proof...........which apparently didn't happen if he thinks it's for launch control

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Well I know this other guy with another type-s and he revs his to redline all the time. Next time I get a chance; i'll post the video I have of this guy I was originally talking about bouncing his car off the rev limiter; sounds like launch control to me. My mom's 05 Honda Odyssey does this rev limiter at 5k (redlines at 6k) and it sounds totally differnt. it sounds like a fuel cut hitting; but this guys type-s sounded like it was bouncing off redline, but it was at hella low rpms still....

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
well it's really up to him lying or not...

We both told you what it could have been stock. lol

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Yeah, im so concerned though lol! Because i've beaten a type-s with more mods than him, and then he comes along and smokes me. And I heard him boucning the revs off of (whatever it is) and I immedietly thought "Damnit! Fking K-Pro!" And then I heard from a buddy a couple days ago that some guy in town had blown his first type-s motor and then swapped in a JDM Type-R K20... And I saw this guys type-s and my buddy goes, "Oh shit, that's the guy!"

BTW, this guy ran a 14.5 (14.9 worst run; missed 2nd gear) at the dragstrip the other day, he says he only has an intake and exhaust... WTF I hate liers.... My buddy I beat in another type-s ran a best of 14.8 (he has intake, exhaust, exedy clutch, lightweight flywheel.)

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
lol, well he's probably lying to you...

Either way, I think you should just go cut his hood open and see what he's got. lol

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Sounds like a plan.... lol..... i'll ask him to pop his hood and i'll check out the engine code..... :) Then i'll be like, "Aha! You sneaky sneaky tiny Asian man... I knew it!" lol

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Heres the clip. I'm sorry if it's against the rules to post this video, because the only sound clip I have of him hitting this rev limiter is during him street racing.... If it is not allowed, my bad I wasn't sure. If you skip to 17 seconds in, then he hits the rev limiter a few times.

Does anyone know if that's what the rev limiter is supposed to sound like? I think that's launch control.

dc4dk

idk bout the 04 coming with one...but i do know the 06-now civic si's come which some ppl do use as a launch control. cuz i have a friend who launches off it and actually hooks. but for an 04 to have it im not sure...

patrick4588

Integra God
BTW, this guy ran a 14.5 (14.9 worst run; missed 2nd gear) at the dragstrip the other day, he says he only has an intake and exhaust... WTF I hate liers.... My buddy I beat in another type-s ran a best of 14.8 (he has intake, exhaust, exedy clutch, lightweight flywheel.)
14.5 sounds about right fro a 05-06 type s with intake and exhaust

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
idk bout the 04 coming with one...but i do know the 06-now civic si's come which some ppl do use as a launch control. cuz i have a friend who launches off it and actually hooks. but for an 04 to have it im not sure...
That factory rev limit is NOT launch control and it doesn't work on crap tires. Maybe if you had really sticky tires on it but other then that, launching at 5500 isn't ideal.

The engine will not rev higher than 5500 with the clutch disengaged. It is not launch control, it's Honda's warranty department making sure idiots don't go out there and fry their clutchs and break axles and what not by acting like fools. It's bean counters calling the decision to limit possible stupidity that many people would do. It is on the 02-04 Type S as well

If he has Kpro, then it does come with launch control

Last edited:

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
If he has Kpro, then it does come with launch control
Yeah I knew that, thats why I'm asking something here. Did you watch the video link I posted? What I want to figure out is if the rev limiter sounds like his does in that video. My mom's Honda Odyssey has a rev limiter on it also, it cuts in @ 5000rpm, car redlines @ 6000rpms.... And it sounds like a fuel cut, like a stumbling sound. When he hits the rev limiter in the video it sounds like a redline, but it's at low rpms.

Oh; and he launches off that rev limiter.