Is it worth it to restore a DA?

unvmy98ls

"Lucid Dreamin"
Hey guys. I have had my DA9 for about a year and all I have done is an after market radiator for the overheating, NGK plug cables, and a new rotor for the dizzy. She has a rust problem and I got her for 500.

The rust is so bad that when I kick the bottom of the car huge chunks fall out. the body doesn't look bad and the rust is just on the quarter panels.

My question is: Is it worth it to restore these cars and do engine swaps on them? I am only allowed liability insurance for this car through my company and I don't want to waste thousands of dollars on it if it gets stolen or wrecked.

Let me know what you guys think. I love this car and it is excellent in the snow. Very pretty looking car as well.

Thanks guys.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
i really depends on how bad the rust is. it's very expensive to fix and it usually comes back :( have a shop give you a opinion on it and see what they say. honestely our cars aren't worth a whole bunch if you go by book value.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
Hey guys. I have had my DA9 for about a year and all I have done is an after market radiator for the overheating, NGK plug cables, and a new rotor for the dizzy. She has a rust problem and I got her for 500.

The rust is so bad that when I kick the bottom of the car huge chunks fall out. the body doesn't look bad and the rust is just on the quarter panels.

My question is: Is it worth it to restore these cars and do engine swaps on them? I am only allowed liability insurance for this car through my company and I don't want to waste thousands of dollars on it if it gets stolen or wrecked.

Let me know what you guys think. I love this car and it is excellent in the snow. Very pretty looking car as well.

Thanks guys.
is it worth it? maybe... only you can decide if its worth it... i know we all put money into our cars because we think its worth it... but do you?

lol and jim... you and this guy match... only his is older :lol:

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
It's worth it. I'd dump money into a G2 before I would a G3. Definitely worth it.

mirrorimg

Your question needs to be rephrased, a lot.

"Is it worth it to restore THIS DA, with a major rust problem."
Probably not. It would be better for you to buy a rust-free shell and swap over parts.

"Is it worth it to restore a good DA"
Most definitely. But you need to keep in mind that everything you add does not increase the resale price. You will never recoup the amount of money you put into the car. If you expect to keep it for the long haul, then go for it.

If you are worried about the car getting stolen, put up the money for full coverage. You dont have to have insurance through your company. Call geico, statefarm, etc. Your car is old enough, you shouldnt be paying that much anyways.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine

Probably not. It would be better for you to buy a rust-free shell and swap over parts.

Most definitely. But you need to keep in mind that everything you add does not increase the resale price. You will never recoup the amount of money you put into the car. If you expect to keep it for the long haul, then go for it.

If you are worried about the car getting stolen, put up the money for full coverage. You dont have to have insurance through your company. Call geico, statefarm, etc. Your car is old enough, you shouldnt be paying that much anyways.
Well said. The value of the car is in the eyes of the beholder. I love G2 more than any other car so I'd pay an arm and a leg for rare parts and name brand parts. That explains why everything on my car is Tein, Skunk2, Tokico, Spoon and J's Racing. I pay the extra bit for my car. So if you love the car and want to keep it for a long time then by all means put money into it.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Well said. The value of the car is in the eyes of the beholder. I love G2 more than any other car so I'd pay an arm and a leg for rare parts and name brand parts. That explains why everything on my car is Tein, Skunk2, Tokico, Spoon and J's Racing. I pay the extra bit for my car. So if you love the car and want to keep it for a long time then by all means put money into it.
I didn't see these parts on your DB8. :what:

wite2nr

nicely said. just use the rustbucket as a beater while you search for a clean DA shell. then swap all the good parts. Its not like DA's are rare muscle cars, you can find another cleaner shell for shurr.

94dc4

My name matches again lol
I am only allowed liability insurance for this car through my company and I don't want to waste thousands of dollars on it if it gets stolen or wrecked.
You need another insurance company then. I have Nationwide and the guy on the phone suggested I could save money by just having lliability on this car since it's so old. I kindly refused and got the full coverage anyway. Why? On top of me driving one of the most stolen cars ever, people are sucky drivers. I can at least get at or around $1k for this thing if it's stolen or totaled. My friend got $900 for his (this was the price after he bought it back to part out). It ain't much, but it'll help towards getting another car.

That car in your sig is a lot nicer than mine, and I paid a thousand more than you did (this car had the axles and steering rack replaced though). I don't know how to fix rust or the process involved, but if you can't save it then you can at least get another DA and swap parts. It's up to you. Apparently our cars are a lot more valuable as separate parts instead of the whole thing, anyway. Either way, keep the DA running because it seems like more and more are ending up in the junkyard.

Last edited:

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
if you have to ask, you already know the answer. if you think you can bring it back from the dead and are willing to spend the money,time, and work involved then go for it. if you can't or don't want to move on to something different/ better and start from there. realistically you're better off starting with a good body. less Damage less work and much safer, but if you plan on doing custom work and have the know how or know people who can fabricate i'd say go for it. ive done ground up resto's with friends and family members and it taught me a lot both good and bad. just think long and hard before you start spending money.

Imo I would, but that's because I've been working on buckets and making them nice for years.

93toonteg

hell yea it is worth it!! I Have a 1993 Integra LS and i have basically fix and restored everything on the car. I have even built a custom motor.....it just depends on how much you like the car....it is hard to get insurance on them to so that's the only thing.