Is the LS/VTEC header swap a good idea?

Peeples

I've been reading up on the swap and hopefully looking into putting it to work on my 96 LS B18b stock engine.

I've heard its fine but also that the compression is to much for the bottom half in some cases, but for sure if I push over 7.2k rpms.

Any advice, storys, or input on the idea?!?

Would doing a full engine swap to maybe a B20 be a better idea in the long run?

Also I will not be doing any of this half assed, I want the best of what I can make it.

00DC2TW

I've been reading up on the swap and hopefully looking into putting it to work on my 96 LS B18b stock engine.

I've heard its fine but also that the compression is to much for the bottom half in some cases, but for sure if I push over 7.2k rpms.

Any advice, storys, or input on the idea?!?

Would doing a full engine swap to maybe a B20 be a better idea in the long run?

Also I will not be doing any of this half assed, I want the best of what I can make it.
Its not a header swap, it's the full head, along with other components to complete the swap

The B1 compression is not too much.
Revving past 7200 is not a problem due to compression, it's that the rod bearings can't take it and stretch.
It sounds like a strait swap would be more appropriate for you than to build a motor.

Peeples

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't 100% sure on all the parts.

I have a guy up the street who's taking care of everything I need and tools but hes making me do the work, along with guidance. He's been working on Honda's for over 10 years.

Just wanting to know if its a good idea for close to 200 hp

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't 100% sure on all the parts.

I have a guy up the street who's taking care of everything I need and tools but hes making me do the work, along with guidance. He's been working on Honda's for over 10 years.

Just wanting to know if its a good idea for close to 200 hp
You won't get close to 200hp with the stock bottom end you mentioned above.

lsvteg

ive been runnin a lsv in my teg for a year now never had problem ! only thing i can say is make sure you do it right the first time. wouldnt hurt to build the block while you there though! or drop a gsr in it .. let me know if i can help

native teg95

Big E.
Let me know how it goes I'm thinking about doing the same am ls/vtec frankenstien build

mjones73

The main problem is the LS/VTEC swap is you can't rev the stock bottom end high enough to take full advantage of the air flow through the VTEC head. You'd want to look into the mods needed to increase the maximum RPM on the motor too. It's been discussed to death in a number of threads here at the forum.