Isreal to attack Iran, concerned?

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Even without a war between these two, gas is expected to average around $4.25 nationally sometime in April. It's absolutley maddening how much energy the U.S. has right under its feet that we won't touch. We've done this to ourselves, self inflicted wound. Things would be even worse (marginally) without the current oil boom in North Dakota. It's happening on private land so the Feds can't stop it, thank God.

THIS is interesting.
Oh wtf, why is California getting hit the most? The lowest price for unleaded gas, where I reside, is $4.21 a gallon. It's been like that for couple of days and it'll rise again. So the US has resources that remain untapped...is that what you're saying? And If the US were to tap and refine into it, will the US become self-sufficient as in not having to rely on foreign oil?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
California probably has very high gas taxes, that's probably what's doing it. They tax everything that moves to the max so why not gas, heh. Yet Cali's dead broke.....hmmmm.....

The U.S. has ridiculous amounts of oil we aern't allowed to go get because of environmental restrictions invented by the EPA. When you include shale oil deposits, we are #1 in the world in crude oil reserves (combined on land and offshore in US territorial waters). More than any Middle East country, more than Russia, more than Venezuela. So yeah, we could drastically reduce our oil imports if we tapped our own reserves. It'll take a few years even if we started today, but just by letting the world market know that in time there will be a massive new influx of crude oil entering the market, it would instantly drop the price in the here and now because market speculators would begin bidding the price of future barrels down.
With new drilling technology now in existence, oil can be drilled more safely and with the most minimal environmental impact ever achieved, yet the Feds keep making it more and more difficult to do so, for no more than partisan political and ideological reasons, not reality based reasons.

The Federal Government makes more money from taxes and fees from oil drilling than the oil companies themselves make in actual profit.
You'd think they'd want more oil drilling!

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Gas is already about 3.80, this happened last year and everyone freaked out. Things get worse before it gets better

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
If i ran the goverment i would probably sit on my own gas too. With all the instability the middle east has always had, one of these days they won't be able to supply the worlds oil, either through distruction of thier wells through war or through just plain running out. Then lookie we have our own supply of oil:shock:. I know it sucks now but when you really think about it it's kind of smart not to use our own oil.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
True, but that could be over 100 years away. And with $15+ trillion in current debt, $118+ trillion in future unfunded liabilities, and $700+ billion a year leaving the country buying oil from others, we don't have that luxury. Our massive debt and high dependence level on foreign oil lessens our power in the world, and is a national security risk.

THIS will depress the hell out of you.

Last edited:

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
True, but that could be over 100 years away. And with $15+ trillion in current debt, $118+ trillion in future unfunded liabilities, and $700+ billion a year leaving the country buying oil from others, we don't have that luxury. Our massive debt and high dependence level on foreign oil lessens our power in the world, and is a national security risk.

Hahaha..I was about to post that link last night to respond to afroman, but I got super sleepy. It's scary just looking at those numbers updating every second.

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"

:shock: Intresting.