ITR - #00-1055 - Lucky

lucky001055

So this is my official progress thread.

The story:

I am the fourth owner of the car. The third lives in Oklahoma and had her for a whopping 3 months before he had to put her up for sale because he ad his wife were expecting their second child. The second owner had to replace the engine in June of 2007 because he drove it into high water and hydrolocked the engine at approximately 41000mi. The first owner got in a wreck in April of 2003, and the front strut tower bar still doesn't fit. Kinda pisses me off, but I'll figure something out.

Anyways, I am currently on my third Integra.

My first was a 1994 DC4 LS that couldn't get out of it's own way. I had Hasport mounts, Fidanza 2.1 clutch, Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, and that's it. Her name was Klaudia, and she was rear ended on the highway by a 2002 Honda Civic DX coupe while I was sitting in traffic.

The second Integra was a 1997 DC4 GS. This list is a LOT longer. Transfered the Hasport mounts and the Fidanza units. Added Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Goodrich brake lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, AEM SRI, KiddRacing RMF Narrow replica, test pipe, custom 2.5" stainless exhaust with Vibrant flat black muffler, ES bushing kit with rear trailing arm bushings, Benen B-pillar bar, GSR front strut tower bar, S2Carbonworks coolant reservoir/catch can combo (prototype because my car was the model he used for building the unit). Final mod = 2007 GMC Sierra 1500, single cab, short bed with a moron from Houston behind the wheel. I got hit head on because he didn't look before he started to turn left. I didn't even have time to react until after the airbags went off. She was my pride and joy. Her name was Big Green. I didn't have a name for her during the two years and three months I owned her.

This one is different. I was searching the Dallas area for a decent GSR or even an LS/GS. Then my buddy Tom came across my ITR in central Oklahoma. Immediately, he called me over to the computer and said, "When are we going to pick your car up?" I sent the guy an email with my phone number, and week later, I put an ITR in my garage for the first time.

When I bought her, she had a cheapo AutoZone SRI, old school DC 4-2-1 header, Thermal R&D 2.5" exhaust, and Skunk2 lowerig springs. Since I bought her, I added an Injen CAI (kept the SRI for rainy days).

Plans:
-Hondata s300.
-RC 310cc/min injectors.
-AEBS intake manifold.
-High End tri-y header (or JDM '98spec ITR 4-1 header).
-Carsounds high flow cat.
-KSport KontrolPro coilovers (or Buddy Club RSDs).
-Mugen bushings from front to back.
-Powerslot Cryo rotors.
Hawk HPS pads.
-Goodrich brake lines.
-Motul RBF600 fluid.
-Clutchmasters FX200 clutch.
-Russel stainless clutch line.

As of right now, that's all I want to do to the car. When it's all said and done, I want to get a DD to hide the ITR from the roads and potentially put in some wicke cams. :D

Pictures:

http://www.tomautophotography.com/Cars/Integra-Type-R-Honda-Acura/14757734_qJcjP#1099933016_DNx3S

There's two videos on the link.

lucky001055

So the most recent happenings with Lucky:

I've been getting a randomly appearing/disappearing CEL. The codes are P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, and P1399.

In order to try to find the root cause behind this, I have replaced te spark plugs, ignition leads, and distributor cap and rotor. This past Saturday, I adjusted the valves and did a comression/leakdown check.

Results of the compression check:
1 - 220psi
2 - 90psi
3 - 225psi
4 - 220psi

New spec is 270psi, serviceable limit is 140psi.

After seeing that #2 was frighteningly low, I decided to do the leakdown check on all cylinders. On cylinders 1, 3, and 4, there was no leakage worth mentioning, but in cylinder 2, the pressure leaked out into the intake manifold.

I checked the valve clearances on cylinder 2 again, readjusted them, and did the leakdown check again. Same thing, leaking into the intake manifold, but it sounded like it was less of a leak. Did the compression check across all cylinders again and found that compression in cylinder 4 went up by 5psi to 225psi, but that cylinder 2 was still at 90psi.

List of parts:

ARP head studs - $129.99 - statracing.com
Mugen head gasket (ups statis CR by .4:1 to 11:1 even) - $167.58 - jhpusa.com
2ea OEM intake valves - $31.16 - hondapartsunlimited.com
2ea OEM exhaust valves - $57.94 - "
2ea OEM intake valve guides - $13.78 - "
2ea OEM exhaust valve guides - $13.78 - "
2ea intake valve seals - $2.30 - "
2ea exhaust valve seals - $2.30 - "
Exhaust manifold gasket - $12.62 - "
Intake manifold gasket - $8.63 - "
OEM exhaust cam seal - $5.54 - "
Distributor o-ring - $1.40 - "
Cam seals - $10.54 - "
VTEC solenoid gasket - $13.24 - "
Upper timing cover - $31.01 - "

Total cost of parts - $457.26 + shipping + machine shop costs.

A local machine shop is charging my buddy $280 for a 3 angle valve job, all 16 valve guides, and resurfacing. I'm guessing it'll probably be around $180-200 for four guides, a 3 angle valve job, and maybe resurfacing.

asteadydecline

Same as it is on here. I don't think I ever posted in your thread, but I've kept an eye on it.

Ah, sorry to hear that about your head, man.

whitedc4

oooh was it in okc??? i think i new the previous people.. uness it was the black one from tulsa..

lucky001055

Thanks for the warm comments, guys.

asteadydecline - I haven't seen you on TI, I don't think. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

Matt - I made the account a month ago. Where have you been? :D

White DC4 - The previous owner lives in Del City, a little bit West of OKC.

I have a buddy who works at an Acura dealer, and he is going to get me a better deal on the OEM parts I'm getting. Might be able to convince someone else to give me a decent deal on ARP headstuds, but no such luck on the Mugen head gasket.

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
I love your plans for it, simple, clean, effective.

Only things i'd add are a set of OEM amber signals, and hunt down an OEM lip.

Welcome :D

lucky001055

Thanks guys.

I intend on getting an OEM lip if I can either get stock springs or coilovers that will allow me to put the ride height only an inch lower than stock. I scrape the bumper on certain parking lot entrances around Denton every once in a while with the Skunk2 springs.

I'm working on getting a new bumper, amber corners, and all associated hardware that isn't already on the car. Money is REALLY tight right now after the ice/snow we had last week. Missed four days last week, and only had enough vacation time to cover two days.

Right now, I'm focused on getting the head fixed before getting a new bumper.

If anyone knows anyone with a set of ARP head studs for a B18C5, I'm looking for some less than $130+shipping.