ITR Rod bearing help

Theasian

Ok so im having issues figuring out the rod number for selecting bearings. You know normally on the side of the rod its marked 1-4 or has hash marks 1-4 but my rods don't. They have acid etched 24 on them and I've never ran into this before. All the rods are Oem p72 rods. I've had the engine since 36k pulled it myself out of a front clip so im about 98% certain its never been opened up.

The engine is a 96 spec Jdm ITR 97 to be specific.

Anybody delt with this before no rod marks for bearing selection acid etched 24 on one side

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Honestly, screw the factory number system. Measure or plastigage the clearances yourself.

If you still have the original bearings and they aren't damaged, great, pop em back in and plastigage from there. Note the colors and you now have a baseline. You can order new bearing sizes from there.

Theasian

Yea I was hoping to not have to deal with plastigauge. Still got everything on my bench at work. Oh well. Thanks

Theasian

I know how to measure and determine size. Im using Orem bearings for it. And there has to be a was to determine what bearing size. Sizing oem bearings you take the rod and crank numbering cross for bearing selection. I've never had any rods before with a marking of 1-4.

Theasian

Well im just going to measure the bearing and check the new ones with plastic gauge.

Here's my chart for thickness by color.

BLUE: 1.510 - 1.507 mm. .0594"-.0593"
BLACK: 1.507 - 1.504 mm. .0593"-.0592"
BROWN: 1.504 - 1.501mm. .0592"-.0591"
GREEN: 1.501 - 1.498 mm. .0591"-.0590"
YELLOW: 1.498 - 1.495 mm. .0590"-.0589"
PINK: 1.495 - 1.492 mm. .0589"-.0587"
RED: 1.492 - 1.489 mm. .0587"-.0586"

If I ever figure this out ill let y'all know

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You dont even need to measure the bearing thickness. Plastigauge the bearings you have now. Note the color on the side and depending on if you want to go looser or tighter you can use your bearing chart to figure out what size you need to order.

Theasian

You dont even need to measure the bearing thickness. Plastigauge the bearings you have now. Note the color on the side and depending on if you want to go looser or tighter you can use your bearing chart to figure out what size you need to order.
There is no color markings on any of the rod bearings. All the crank bearings are colored but not a single rod bearing

Theasian

That's deff possibility. Pull the rings out and they arnt factory honda rings for certain. Do directional marking or a taper on the second compression ring. Friend believes they may be balanced oem rods done by a shop but still dosing explain the lack of original markings for or rods.

Im emailing a friend from the drift scene who lives in Osaka see if he can find anything.

TheMyth

Itr engines don't have the same numbering system as the other engines. Itr rods are numbered in the 20's as the rest of Honda was 1-4. Unsure on nsx and k series.

And alot of the times, itr has 2 different bearing colors on 1 rod.

I will post from the ITR manual alil later today.