ITR Starting Issues Once Again

drevans_satx

Dylan
So here I am again pleading for help from the elder teg lords...
usually I can get by with scouring google and such, but this is a tricky one.

I'll lay down the situation as clear as possible, as simply as possible.

The car has the s2k push to start button installed by the P.O. but it didn't have a problem even before starter replacement.
Once the car starts, it runs like a champ through the entire rev range
I replaced my starter with a known working obd-2 starter
-after the starter replacement It did the no start crap once and then never again untill now.
Turn key to 2nd position and all the dash light light up and the pump primes like normal
The main relay clicks 3 times as it is supposed to.
I haven't messed with the distributor, but it seems to not have an issue

Here is the kicker.
On the 3rd key position where the car would normal go 'put-put-put-vroom!' I get 'whiiiirrrrrrrr' from the fuel pump continuing to prime as long as the key is turned.
When it does this I just take the keys out and keep trying to start it. (remove key-insert-turn-attempt start-repeat) And eventually it will start.
This is what leads me to believe that it is something to do with the ignition cylinder and not anything else, but on the other hand the starter replacement solved the issue for a short time.

Either my aRR kills starters, or I have other issues.
Later today I'm going to pull apart the column and look for any loose connections, hopefully it's something simple.

EDIT: 95% of the time, if it gets to full operating temp it'll shut off and fire right back up after iv'e come back to it i.e. run to the store it'll start back up

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
battery?

the third click on the key will always make the pump go off. i would check the battery, i just had this issue last night lol the exact same thing and on the second attempt it turned on.

drevans_satx

Dylan
battery?

the third click on the key will always make the pump go off. i would check the battery, i just had this issue last night lol the exact same thing and on the second attempt it turned on.
At first, I was thinking battery, but I just replaced it a month ago with a brand new battery.
There is the possibility of the battery being bad, but it didn't have an issue before. I had a period of about 2 weeks where the car ran great with the new battery and old starter. Then it stopped, I replaced the starter and it ran great, then it started again, but I can jiggle the keys enough and it will start.

drevans_satx

Dylan
It doesn't look too worn. Naturally it is going to be worn, but it isn't flat. That I know of it is the original key, and the only key I have to the car.

Here is a photograph. Top is my '97 Gs-R bottom is the '01 aRR in the best quality my cell phone can offer.
And yes both keys are bent slightly...pockets are killer.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Well by jiggle I mean remove the key and turn it. I may do this whole process 15 times so that means the fuel pump primes 15 times before it actually decides to stop being a bitch and just start.

dopematic

I call a faulty intermittently working relay.

Started seems like its fine, you can test it by hooking it up to 12v.

Fuel pump pruning is fine and pumping 15 times doesn't really correlate with a starting problem.

The jiggling problem, don't you have to push the key in first and turn to remove it? Either way that shouldn't be a problem with starting either because its still turning up to the 3rd (starter) position which will sent power to the starter.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Well I didn't inspect any wiring today because I had to rush my welding project along. A horse kicked through the front of one of the carriages, so instead of fixing the dinky little front i'm just fabbing up a new one entirely.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Tomorrow i'll go make a vidya of what i'm talking about lol. To start it I have to remove the key reinsert it and turn like im starting it, if it doesnt start, then I have to repeat

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I have doubts about the necessity of removing the key. It would probably work the same just turning it to off and repeating over and over. But im guilty of removing it on attempts to get mine started. :mrgreen:

dcteg859

Check your ignition switch I had a similar prob in my Ek a few years ago

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk 2

Nick_C78

Hmm. Do you by any chance get a check engine light on when it doesn't start? Like if you hold down the key to start it(or button). And how long do you hold it there to see if something triggers and it starts?

I used to have to have to hold my key down forever for it to register and then it would start. Sometimes it just wouldn't start(got to be annoying and started happening probably 50% of the time) much like what you are saying. When it didn't start the CEL would click on. However when I turned the car off the CEL would vanish. I was finally able to read the code one day and it was the Top Dead Center Sensor in the dizzy. Here is the kicker, I ended up replacing the relay for my viper alarm on a hunch, then shortly after I rebuilt my motor...lol. The thing is though I never changed the dizzy or the TDC sensor in the dizzy and yet the problem went away and has been gone for well over a year now. Fires up instantly, every time, no delay. So I have no idea what exactly fixed it, but the only thing I replaced that was ignition related was that relay. I also cleaned all my grounds, plugs and such when I did my rebuild.