It's Summer.. F#@% - Roof Scope Thread

94RS

No fucks given.
You'd need to fabricate it yourself for one.... Two, it would need to be long enough for the sunroof to open and wide enough to accommodate the sunroof frame.

It would cost a lot and wouldn't be worth it. Stop being stubborn and just put your a/c back in. 2 more MPG isn't worth being miserable while driving.

dlo253

1. how could I make a roof scope that goes over the entire sun roof?
  2. A SCOOP that possibly bolts on, for easy removal when I don't wanna look dumb
  3. What materials would I make this out of?
  4. how much are we talkin?
Not really possible. It will look dumb on, even you agree.
But how much better will it look when its off and there is a bunch of holes in your roof, or studs? And you might want to make sure any holes or anything you make, you make sure there is a watertight seal..

zack11122

You want a roof scoop? Buy a vent thing from a camper and rivet it to the roof. Open it when you want.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
Not really possible. It will look dumb on, even you agree.
But how much better will it look when its off and there is a bunch of holes in your roof, or studs? And you might want to make sure any holes or anything you make, you make sure there is a watertight seal..
True, how would they look. I might could cover the studs up (when its off) with a liner of some sorts.

themiller13

Put a leaf blower under your good and duct it into the cabin

Sit on a block of ice
Hook up a pump and water cooler to a misting hose and put it on your headliner
OR:

Sit on an ice block that when melted runs through a leaf blower powered hose that routes the water to a pump and water cooler that makes misty water rain down from the headliner. The you can then dry off from by using the roof scope to find a near by towel.

Problem Solved [/Engineering]

speedin

The Transporter
I have a black car in SC with no a/c. Windows down, its just fine. Just get used to the heat or put the a/c back in. That being said, since I have a Scooby I do plan to buy that OEM Spec-c roof scoop because its awesome and more effective than the windows. Just need a kickstarter to raise the $500 in parts. But if there wasnt a clean oem option, id stick with the windows because its enough.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
Alright, problem has been solved.

I took some of the info you guys gave me, some of the ideas and I've decided to fabricate one, my self, only slightly differently than originally posted.

Instead of covering up the WHOLE sun roof, instead of bolting one on, I am going to design a new roof.

You have about 4.5" of space, before the sunroof. I discovered while driving today that if you have the sun roof open, and cup your hand like a letter "n", hold it near the top of the roof and angle it toward your face, cold air will blow directly on you.

So, I took this principle and constructed two wind tunnels that directly blow the air into the forehead. They look kinda like bat ears and are low profile.

They are also, only 7 inches long, and do not obstruct your view at all.

It was a fairly simple thing to make and the sun roof closes/ opens normally. When its open, wind is in your face. when it is closed, wind escaped through the rear of the wind tunnel (so you don't have to worry about turbulence or anything. )

I made the base structure out of (yeah, ghetto) cardboard and duct tape, but I am going to use this to design a new roof that has these build into it.

I must say, even made out of cardboard, they didn't look half bad, haha.

94RS

No fucks given.
So it does the same thing that my car does with sunroof open about an inch and a half...?