JDM B18c"R" part numbers?

Lo Key

So my compression test, and the massive amount of smoke that smells like oil coming out of my exhaust suggests that I need new piston rings. A buddy of mine said that while I was there, I should replace the rod bearings too. Now, that being said I was told I don't have to completely pull the motor to accomplish this. Correct me if I'm wrong in any way.

I need the part numbers for:
JDM b18c"R" Piston rings
JDM b18c"R" Rod Bearings

and whatever else someone would suggest that I need or possible should replace while I've got it apart. I'm planning on staying with what's in the motor as far as internals go, and trying to keep it on the somewhat-cheap side. I just want my motor to run smooth, not looking for a performance boost at the moment. Any help, or suggestions is/are appreciated.

EDIT: The rest of my shopping list is this:
Cometic Head Gasket
IM gasket
Valve Cover Gasket/Grommets/Rings
Oil Pan Gasket
ARP Head studs
Possibly getting the head planed

95B18BTurbo

To be honest if it's smoking that bad you should, pull the motor and have the cylinder walls checked because it may need a bore/hone depending on how worn out it is. You may get by with just rings and bearings, but the rest of the motor should be freshened up as well.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if youre redoing the rings, you need to hone the motor, and probably bore it out .25mm which requires new pistions

Lo Key

great....there goes the cheap option.

So if I remember that would put me at getting 81.25mm pistons, correct?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
yes. You can just reseal it, but theres no guarantee your cylinders are in good enough shape to do that. I got lucky on my block. My friend, not so much. You still have to hone it out though. Which can be done in the car.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
If you are going with a stock piston then yes 81.25mm is an option. If you want to go with an aftermarket piston, which is what I would recommend, then they go up by half a mm increments.

There are no specific rings or bearings for R engines. The piston ring pack for all B18s is a PR3 code. The main bearings are all the same for ALL B series. The GSR/ITR cranks have narrower (not thinner) rod bearings than the LS/B20 cranks but otherwise the same.

*Edit you also want the machine shop to inspect your valve guides on higher mileage motors (>100k). This is more likely the source of your smoking.

Lo Key

So just to clarify, you think it's my valve guides AND my rings? Obviously that's an educated guess, but I just want to make sure that you don't think it's the valve guides themselves. P.S. that may sound sarcastic as you read it, and I'm not trying to be.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Well you didnt state the results of the compression test. What are the numbers and how did you test it? Did you do a wet/dry test?
And when does it smoke on decel, accelerating, or all the time?

Lo Key

The numbers where posted in a previous thread. If I remember correctly all cylinders were below 140 on the dry, and SIGNIFICANTLY higher on the wet test. It smokes when accelerating somewhat-hard. Not giving it hell, but accelerating onto the highway. Doesn't smoke at idle, just smell the oil.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
[From other thread]
# 1 2 3 4
D: 125 130 140 140
W: 300+ 205 290 230

You did that test COLD though. You never did the test hot. And I think you added way too much oil 300/290 psi are suspiciously high. That's what you get when there is so much oil that it goes up into the compression tester resulting in "max compression". 205/230 sound reasonable.

Drive the car for 5 minutes and then run the compression test dry. Then redo the wet test while its still hot. Add about 3 cap fulls of oil to each cyl.

Lo Key

Sorry for the double post, but here's my hot compression test results:

1 2 3 4
D 135 130 125 130
W 230 215 232 240

Muckman

Not a M0derator
There no way all 4 cylinders are that low. Are you holding the throttle open? How many times are you cranking?

Lo Key

5 "alligator" or "Mississippi" cranks about 7 times

EDIT: and now I feel stupid...I just realized I didn't have the throttle open....back to the garage

Last edited:

Lo Key

Just did it with throttle to the floor.

D. 130. 130. 150. 130
W. 230. 220. 225. 230

That's a hot test, throttle to the floor, two caps of oil for the wet test, dizzy disconnected