JDM Motors

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
bi yearly inspections get more frequent as the car gets older. After your car hits a certain amount of miles you are required to go through an inspection every year. These are quite intense, you have to have your road flare etc etc etc and stuff and its quite expensive to go through inspection. Alot of japanese people think its more cost effective to buy a new car every few years rather than go through inspection.

This is however changing with the hybrid cars as the govt gives more money back to the owners of hybrid cars rather than we get back here.

redrocket

so they have to sell their engines before it reaches a certain amount of miles?
I was told there are many incentives to junk your old car Vs. paying fees to keep it. This keeps the emissions lower because vehicles continue to become more efficient and omit less pollutants.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
A lot of japanese people think its more cost effective to buy a new car every few years rather than go through inspection.
I was told there are many incentives to junk your old car Vs. paying fees to keep it.
It goes along the lines of both of these as well as the fact that many perfectly serviceable cars are cut in half and junked instead of repairing them. The system is this way to keep the incentive of new car purchases high while weeding out the older, less efficient, higher polluting cars. Space is also a premium there so hoarding big stock piles of used and damaged cars is avoided by chopping them up.

bradster101

whats the site where you can buy them? Some people were telling me that you can buy them for under a grand

mirrorimg

Their country isnt as large as ours. They live much closer to their shopping centers and job places. They use other means of transportation to get where they need to go.

All of these are attributable to the low mile engines. The reasons why they come here is because of what some of the guys said above. It costs more money to upkeep and old car than it is to buy a new one.

Coney

Spacely
Correct me if im wrong but i remember reading somewhere they also have incentives to buy new cars over used ones. used ones come with taxes and fees. so the cars that get ditched for new ones due to the fees of inspection are then not of much value to the people anyway. Of course were very interested so those motors and cars come here.