JDM Swap Question - Converting from US B18C1 to JDM B18C

So I've decided that I will order a JDM B18C OBD1 long block from HMotorsOnline.com. When I receive the long block, I want to replace the belts, gaskets, and water pump; does the JDM and USDM B18C use the same type of belts, gaskets, and water pump, or is there a different size or type for each motor? And, what else should I replace or inspect before dropping it in the car? Your response will be greatly appreciated as always.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
They use the same pump/belts as the US counterpart. That'd be all I would change right away, get it running and see if you have any leaking gaskets, if so then replace those

Alvi84

Should be same components... Now I thought somewhere along the line the JDM vtec sylenoid is different. The JDM vtec sylenoid doesn't have the sensor to plug into the USDM wire harness and if you did an OBD2 motor swap like I did, then you would have to convert to OBD1 or do the ECU jump wire or replace the JDM oil pump. The JDM oil pump does not have the CKP sensor like an OBD2 USDM B18c1 does and will cause your car to run like crap. Correct me if I am wrong... but to make sure I don't confuse you, the OBD1 JDM oil pump doesn't have the the CFK sensor so you don't have to worry about that... but I recall something was different with the JDM vtec sylenoid.

Here is a picture of my JDM B18c before I swapped over the USDM Vtec Sylenoid --- And below is a pic of my JDM B18c with the USDM Vtec sylenoid swapped on it.

Last edited:

Alvi84

Yeah, thanks, hard to juggle a 15 month old, your own crazy scrambled mind, and surfing through a few of my previous posts... corrected my post above...

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Haha its all good man, I know that feeling as I have a 9 month old that keeps me pretty busy

I'm a bit confused, but, I think that I got most of it, correct me if I'm wrong... I plan on getting the long block with OBD1 so everything should be plug and play because I currently have a B18C1. No worries about the ECU and Oil Pump stuff, right?