Just bought a 91 Integra LS

gohawks7

First time post here and thanks for this forum. I just bought a 91 Integra LS 184,000 with issues for $25. Body is decent, tires new. Owner said it wouldn't shift so he didn't want it. The battery is dead so I towed it home and put in on the charger. What should I start looking at to get it running??? Again thanks for a nice looking forum!

DA9Mappy

NOOB
well sounds like a cool deal for $25 so congrats.

But it sounds like you might need a new transmission or clutch might be bad I'd hope it's just the clutch.

I don't know very much so hang around and I'm sure you'll get more help.

but that would be something to look in to.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I'm assuming...2500? Haha, Well first get the battery charged or get a new one, then see if it's a transmission or clutch...or both!

embr

get it running and post some pictures.

JGvtec

Welcome to CI. Im Jordan. :hi:

Have any questions about detailing your car, feel free to PM me. ;)

gohawks7

No actually I got it for literally 25 dollars even.. no strings attached and title in hand. He just handed over the keys.

I have the battery on the charger tonight.. Eager to fire it up in the morning. I'll be sure to post pictures soon Oh! and by the way my name is Caleb and i live in Missouri.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Jesus, there's more than 25 in scrap metal in a dead car...that's so sketch...maybe he used it in a robbery or something! Welcome Caleb, I'm Mitch, can't wait to see the pictures, and try and trouble shoot it once you have it charged!

gohawks7

me and my dad said the same thing. But not a bad deal for a first car. Thanks for the welcomes everyone. And sure ill facebook you sometime soon.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Oh haha, it's a link in the Singature, to my facebook. But I mean, With all the thousands you saved on it, you can definitely fix it up and do some modding or whatever you like.

Cripton805

#1. Get a new battery with warranty
#2. Is it auto or 5sp... Auto trannies are prone to go out on tegs
#3. Press the clutch on first to start the car. If it doesn't, put it in neutral and start it w/o the clutch (if 5sp)
#4. If it didn't start on first, but it started on neutral. It would be my guess it's the clutch.
(if it's the tranny, save yourself some time and swap the clutch and possibly flywheel if almost worn)
#5. Trannies and engines are super cheap. Go get anything you need and do some research before you buy anything for that car.

Cripton805

#1. Get a new battery with warranty
#2. Is it auto or 5sp... Auto trannies are prone to go out on tegs
#3. Press the clutch on first to start the car. If it doesn't, put it in neutral and start it w/o the clutch (if 5sp)
#4. If it didn't start on first, but it started on neutral. It would be my guess it's the clutch.
(if it's the tranny, save yourself some time and swap the clutch and possibly flywheel if almost worn)
#5. Trannies and engines are super cheap. Go get anything you need and do some research before you buy anything for that car.
I forgot to mention... even if it starts, but you cant shift. It's a common sign for a bad clutch.

ALSO. Very important! Check the clutch cable!!! If it's not properly adjusted, you might not be able to start the car, shift into any other gears, or will have bogginess.

If it's the clutch cable, consider yourself a very lucky man... you got a working $25 car 8)

gohawks7

Update: put in the fresh charged battery and cranked it over several times and wouldnt start. Gas guage was on empty. 5 gallon gas can of gas later and seven cranks and it fired up. Now the kicker is it was not supposed to be able to shift or move! Put it in reverse and backed out of the drive. Two times around the block and drove it to the gas station to fill it up. As far as i can tell right now, this $25 car needs a new windshield and a muffler and it passes inspection here in Mizzery! Thanks for the comments above guys I look forward to putting some of your knowledge to good use!!! Cleaning it up as we speak so I can add some pics later!

Last edited: