Just had a idea!

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
So i was thinking about a inline air filter for a ram-air style intake (like with a velocity stack).
since most people who run the velocity stack as a ram, they don't use the filter since it would restrict 99% of the free flow. so i was thinking about designing a custiom intake with a inline filter for my turbo intake.

it would capitalizing on the benefits of 2 intake preferences
1. engine saftey with a air filter
2. more air flow by running a high flow ram-air intake
with a normal filter you can't get air 'pushed' into your intake
but if you have a velocity stack in front where the air enters, then a filter, the air would be 'pushed' through the filter

its pretty much the same concept as a oem intake, but with a velocity stack or something like it on the end.

Diagram:
[turbo/intake manifold]=====[Filter]=====[ram intake/velocity stack]

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
How big will the filter be? Because to be efficient it would have to be about the size of a normal one. So your basically looking at a icebox for a turbo. Just a VC stuck on the end of the intake pipe

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
How big will the filter be? Because to be efficient it would have to be about the size of a normal one. So your basically looking at a icebox for a turbo. Just a VC stuck on the end of the intake pipe
Pretty much,do you think it would work well?

I actually just found a inline air filter called the jet stream
http://www.prmracing.com/
139 for just the filter and couplers though :/

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
I know but alot of people run the v-stack out the front bumper with no filter on it

speedin

The Transporter
Pretty much,do you think it would work well?

I actually just found a inline air filter called the jet stream
http://www.prmracing.com/
139 for just the filter and couplers though :/
Yea it would work just fine. I really like that filter design its cool. Only issue is the max cfm of a filter like that. Its still a relatively small media. And for a boosted set-up your going to need alot of air. Your better off with the filter-in-a-box ice-box set-up so you can have a large filter area. Of if you ran two of those tubes, that may be enough. Id contact the manufacture and ask for some max CFM ratings.

For instance...

Same design, and the use the same style filter (It actually looks just like the older F350 cone filters in size/shape). But look how big it is! Its the big carbon fiber tube on the left side near the back.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
so pretty much a modded comptech ice box?
Actually if you can find one, the NSX box is better. Its larger. Its what RealTime ran for there tegs. Icebox design using a NSX box, you would be just taking it a step further with a smooth metal tube box->im and a nice tube to suck in the ambient air. But if you have a comptech box im sure it will be good enough, and much easier to find id imagine as well.

^ umm 97 R

Last edited: