Just replaced transmission fluid.. Loud sounds?

bvans

DC5-ED9
Hey guys,
finally got a jack that would fit under my car haha...
Did the first oil change since I got her, then after figured I'd do the transmission fluid too since I bought some a few weeks before.

The drain was successful minus the fact that the bolts were tighter than all hell..
The fill bolt even let out a about half a quarter, over filled?

ANYWAYS ha
Now that its done, I got in my car and just messed around with the gears to get the liquid moving around.. Shifting first through fifth over and over, reverse, everything...
While doing so, the shifts sounded pretty loud... I did have the engine off though.
Not sure if it did this before, I never played with the gears while the engine was off...

Pretty sure it's not low on fluid, I put in about 2 1/5 quarts.

95Gs-typeR

ive always just ran 10w or 20w motor ol in my honda trans. never had any problems. but i have heard that AMT fluid was crap. but thats just what ive read. i dont know from personal experience

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
I should be fine. I've always used Honda MTF. It is pretty loud when you shift with the car off.

BankiBoi

how do you change the fluid, i know where the drain plug is but where the hell do you refill it at?

Dfrederick2nd

Just Playing The Game
how do you change the fluid, i know where the drain plug is but where the hell do you refill it at?
refill plug ill be a little higher up then the drain plug but i suggest using a funnel and filling from where the dipstick is located

mad_dog

Fill plug is just a little above it, should be a 17mm bolt. It's a little easier to get at the fill plug from under the hood, seems to be a bit more space there. I just did my tranny fluid today and I needed a breaker bar to break both bolts loose they were so tight. Used Honda MTF as well, and it already shifts smoother than it was shifting before.

hieuamn

A little tip I learned back in NAM was through the VSS ( Vehicle Speed Sensor ).

1. Remove the vent cap found near the front/top of your tranny:

2. Find the Speed sensor located on the topside of the very back of your tranny:

3. Take the 10mm on a big-ass extension and remove the bolt (it's the orangish one in my pic - yours probably won't be oragnish):

4. Now see that big-ass hole left after you move the speed sensor out of the way? Use the funnel and fill through that hole! By the way, no need to unplug the speed sensor - just move it out of the way.

5. Fill 2.5q depending on your tran. Most bseries are 2.5

6. Bolt everything up and remember to put back on your vent cap

hieuamn

and with the loud shifting? Mines been like that since day 1 and I been through 3 trannys

edit* been through 3 transmissions.